Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I got a new PC recently and I'm trying to connect it to my old PC to get files and play LAN-games with my brother. Both PC's have Windows XP. I am trying to connect them with a cross-over ethernet cable. No routers or anything between. I have ran the Windows Home-Network Wizard and updated all the drivers of the network cards of both computers. It currently shows a status of "Connected" in the 'Network connections'. but I'm still unable to get these 2 to connect eachother. I have manually entered the IP's and subnet masks. I also tried the automatic-IP's but it didn't work either. I have turned the Windows own Firewall off. Any ideas/questions? :eek:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi,

I have ran into this problem a few times and for some reason I had to turn off the simple file sharing to get the PCs to communicate. You might want to try turning off the simple file sharing and give it a try that way.

Have a good one!

Shane

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Which of the following tests work and which don't? If test 1 fails, probably a firewall blocking or, if it fails both directions, the cable could be bad.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?

·
Super Moderator
43,953 Posts
From what you wrote it sounds like a firewall issue. It could even be a security suite that is causing the problems. What TN has given you will give you an idea of what is going on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TerryNet said:
Which of the following tests work and which don't? If test 1 fails, probably a firewall blocking or, if it fails both directions, the cable could be bad.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run - cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address: open a Command Window and type
ipconfig /all

Now for some troubleshooting:

1. On each PC open a Command window and type
ping IPofOther (where IPofOther is the IP address of the other PC)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

If you got Replies,

2. Do the same ping except use the Computer Name of the other computer:
ping NameOfOtherPC

Replies or lost packets?

If you got Replies to either or both,

3. Then
Start - Run - \\IPofOther - OK

With luck after about a minute you should get an explorer window showing the other PC's shares. If not, what is the error message?
Thank you for your reply. I have tried to ping the other computer. I only get packet losses from both computers.
EDIT: problem solved :) It was a firewall issue!

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.