Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I could fix a friends laptop by loading pcpoint.com file that I bought. would not "repair the problems" so I "disc clean up'ed" and defraged. It didn't change the symptoms of not saving excell files nor would it load my MSN9 dailup disc. I have an AVERATEC laptop and I am sure this is what killed it. I put the recovery disc from my AVERATEC into his Sony Vaio. Now it will not even give the black screen with curser blinking. I just wanted confirmation of my stupidity. When I put the recovery disc in his CD...it was just a splt second...and this is when it....died. don't even get the blinking curser. Power button is lit but no other one is. He has XP home. I think I owe him a hard drive....do they need to be special ordered from the Sony corp? or are they universal like PC hard drives. Also no XP installation disc. thank you!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Sony Vaio's use standard hard drives.

Too late now but THis link will help you next time.

The wrong recovery cd should not have killed the system. can you get into the bios? If so try resetting it. Also, try booting from a real xp cd. Not a recovery cd and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neither one of us has an installation disc for XP. My new laptop from AVERATC came only with the 2 recovery discs...which I thought was odd...I thought all new computer puchases would have an XP Install disc. My desktop was purchased used.

I can not get the laptop to do anything but show the power on button lit up...not even the disc light that laptops show when active. Thank you Jtoast - for the info on the hard drive replacement. I live in the virgin islands and we just recently gor an "office Max" but they are limited on stock most of the time.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
If you can't even turn it on and get into the BIOS, the problem isn't the hard drive, it's some other hardware component. Running various "cleaning" programs, and inserting the wrong recovery disk are not things that physically damage hardware.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I agree with DoubleHelix. You should be getting error messages if you killed the harddrive. if you are not something else is at fault. Is there a chance you used the wrong ac adapter and possibly fried something?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, he said that both ac adapters are direct from Sony. Is it possible for me to download a bootup disc from microsoft or Sony...to my computer and burn it to a CD to boot up his laptop? I'm not sure what site to go to. Thanks

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
You are not understanding what we are saying.

If you are not getting an error saying something like "No Operating system" and the system will not even attempt to boot then THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE DISK. There is another issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone. We have one computer repair on the island and I will take it there.

I really appreciate all your help and this is a wonderful web site. I will donated as often as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well appearently it happens a lot with Sony's laptops one thing you can try is tke out the memory card (this worked for a friend of mine) don't know the websites but when i come back i'll post the link for the Sony problems

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BuddyB...thank you so much. He took the memory cards out...waited a few minutes and put them back in and it booted right up!!!!!Amazing. Thank you again everyone!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.