Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often find myself using two computers when at my home office desk - a laptop and my desk PC. It would be great if I could have a neat way of using the same keyboard and mouse for each of the computers - and to select via a selector switch which one I want them to function on. Is there any type of hardware switch I could use that would allow me to accomplish this please...?

Presently I have an Advent USB wireless keyboard and mouse combination for my desktop - and the laptop obviously has its own keyboard and wireless USB mouse.

Any advice?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Sure, if the monitor isn't run through the KVM, it won't be controlled. However, the device will switch the keyboard/mouse just fine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes, KVM switches are the answer to your problem. The average KVM switch will support 2 (or sometimes more) inputs and 1 output each for keyboard, mouse and monitor, so that you can share the latter 3 device sbetween 2 (or more) PCs. You do NOT have to use all 3 devices on the switch - so, for example, you could give each PC its own keyboard and mouse, but just switch monitors etc.

A word of caution - although it _might_ seem possible just to use mechanical T-switches to switch such devices, many PCs will not boot up if there is no keyboard attached. Obviously with any KVM switch the keyboard is only going to be connected to one of the PCs at any one time, so the electronic KVMs switches 'mimic' a keyboard on the outputs so that a PC will boot up even if the real keyboard is not switched to it - I hope that's clear!

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The switch he linked is a four port switch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.