Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Emachine with WindowsXP on it, and it has this keyboard with these nifty little silver keys that make life SOOOOO much simpler. However, after some issues with virus I guess, suddenly they don't work properly anymore. Please note: I'm only guessing that the virus is what messed them up, I don't actually know.

My CUT/COPY/PASTE keys don't work at all, my CALCULATOR key gives me like 5 calculators, and since I don't use the others, I'm not sure if they work or not...heck, I'm not entirely positive what all of them do, but I'm sure that I can live without them.

I have tried unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in, but don't know what else to do to get the keys to work again. Suggestions anyone??

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Good Afternoon Farmgirl22, it is most likely your software for your keyboard has been affected.
Generally these keyboards have software that is installed and then you program the functions you want to use for the keys as you wish.

If you determine what the actual keyboard is, you most likely already have the software on a CD or disk somewhere in your possession.

Chances are you may even have an item in Programs relating to that software.

So it may be an idea to determine what it is, obtain the software required, then possibly try reloading and reprogramming the keys.
qldit.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
G'day Kiwi, I had a look at Emachines site and there is quite a bit of support software there which needs the model number and series to determine which is applicable.

If your idea doesn't work, chances are the keyboard sofware may be available there.

If the machine was purchased new, and is actually a system, the original sofware probably is in a drawer with some instruction books or something like that.
It commonly happens that an owner has the software without realising what it actually is due to the names on the packaging.

I have just loaded a Compaq with a similar keyboard software pack.

I can't understand how anyone can remember what all the different buttons do!
My Honeywell also has extra keys but they aren't programmed in any of the Linux systems I am using on this KVM only on the Windows versions.

Getting cold here, 12 degs last night.
Your article on PSU minus 5 volts was very good!! I sense a temperature increase involved.
qldit.

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
Hi Qldit

The "cut-copy-paste" evoked a MS type Keyboard in my mind (using one right now).

Cold?
12°C?
Currently 2.5°C here, sudden unpredicted storm.Photo of this morning attached. Don't you wish you were here? Saturday I was cruising round in my convertible with the top down, winter arrives quickly...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
You have got to be joking!!!
I shudder even looking at that image!!
We don't even have a heater here!!
I only have a warmer T-shirt to wear with my cotton strides and thongs.
I have just put a thin quilt on the bed with a sheet.
Anyone that wants heat here gets a Prescott processor!!
I suppose your mosquitoes wouldn't be too active with ice on their wings!!
Does electron flow begin to throttle back in conductors??
qldit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.