Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we replaced the screen on my boyfriends laptop (Samsung 300V3A - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1, x64-based, Intel core i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30 GHz, 2300Mhz)

and after replacing the screen we noticed the keyboard was not working properly AT ALL!

"QWERTY" come's out as "XD !~" :(
attaching a USB keyboard works perfectly! and before replacing the screen everything worked fine as well. (he would connect it to his TV and skype me while i was away on buisiness ;) )

We had a friend who was more familiar with screen replacement do the job for us, and he is stumped by this as well. :confused: Anyone got any suggestions?? if you need more info on the computer specs let me know and i will post them asap (just let me know how to access them) we are willing to replace the keyboard, but if there is another solution i would rather go that route.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
During the Screen replacement, if the computer case had to be opened up it is possible that the Ribbon Cable for the Keyboard may have been damaged or not securely reattached to the motherboard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when he was replacing the screen he only opened the casing that contained the screen, after replacing the screen when we turned it on and realized the keys were not functioning correctly - is when we opened up the back and took a look at the motherboard and connections they all appear to be fine.

do you suggest replacing the keyboard?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone else could give me any suggestions that would be great! We did a extensive cleaning of the keyboard. connections and all throughout the case, still not working correctly

·
Super Moderator
16,195 Posts
As dustyjay mentioned the most likely cause is damage to the keyboard cable.

Whatever caused the need for screen replacement may have damaged the keyboard and/or it's connector cable. What actually happened to the laptop ?

Was the keyboard working ok between the damage to the laptop and the screen replacement ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it was accidentally stepped on by a 3 year old who decided to run across the coffee table (my niece), As i stated in my original post - Yes, before the screen was replaced the keyboard and everything else for that matter, worked fine. he would plug his laptop into the TV while i was away on business so we could skype back and forth and save on long distance minutes. i am willing to replace the keyboard, but if there is another way of possibly fixing the problem i would like to do that first rather than go through the process of replacing it.

·
Super Moderator
16,195 Posts
Oh I think I get it now.

He used the TV as the display after the screen was damaged and the keyboard still worked properly ?

If you haven't already look under the keyboard and check the cable itself and it's connection to the motherboard socket. They can split or pull out of the socket enough to cause problems which might not appear straight away. Be careful the cables can be fragile.

EDIT : That's quite a modern laptop. I assume the warranty has run out ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.