Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I have a dell 4600
Keyboard works in bios but any input after xp bootup causes lockup(movies and other things will still run but i just cant move mouse)
Iv tried replacing kbdclass and i8042prt from an identical comp but no dice.
Norton Av came up negative. I also cannot sytem restore to a date before keyboard failed. Keyboard also does not so up in safe mode.
Anything i can do?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nvm

It says i8042 failed twice but i think thats when i got windows to replace it
I continually get 2 warning that say "TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is 32." the other one is similar.source isEvntAgnt

*realized these are default messages

Attachments

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
As you have tried other keyboards and mice and they are recognized in bios and post I would asume its a problem within windows itself, If you have the orignal XP disc I would try a repair of windows

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If you have the original xp disc put it in the cdrom then restart and enter bois and change the boot sequence to cdrom then save and exit and restart. Watch the screen and it will ask if you want to boot from cd press any key to start, then follow on screen questions to do a REPAIR of windows.
A word of caution only go down this route if you fully understand what you are doing as you could end up losing all you data if you pick the wrong one.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
If you have a backup of you data I would go for a clean install, you should not have to remove any discs to do this, but if you feel safer just unplug it.
If a clean install does not solve the problem then its probably the ps2 connectors on the mobo causing the problem, personally I have never heard of them failing like this but maybe others on the forum have

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.