Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my old laptop has been playing up, I don't use it but my parents do. So, the laptop was infected with the Antivirus 2009 after surfing the web and I removed it using malwarebytes program. Then shortly after the laptop would show a blue screen, displaying "KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR" and then reboot.

After the reboot, my laptop seemed to run fine, I downloaded AVG antivirus software to check if there was a boot sector virus (?) and after running the laptop for about 30 minutes, it showed the blue screen again and reboots. This kept on occuring.

Then I tried to reformat the laptop. The first time I tried to format it as FAT32, it got to about 60% before rebooting. The second time I managed to get past the formatting (FAT32 [quick])and I got onto the part of installing windows. About 20 minutes into the installation. A stop error appeared "STOP C0000218 Unknown Hard Error". Could the hard disk be corrupt?

Any ideas on what I can do to savage the laptop?
Thanks!

Spec of Laptop
Brand: Samsung
System: Microsoft Windows XP Home
CPU: Intel 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Processor
Memory: 256MB 133MHz SDRAM
HDD: 30GB

·
Registered
46,025 Posts
This is generally a registry corruption issue. There is a technically complicated method of recovery, but if the drive is really bad you are just going to get it again.

http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x218

Before replacing the drive, and since you have already done a clean install just prior --you might do another, but try removing and reseating the drive first.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.