Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Vista Home Premium for about a month or a little more. I have had no problems until a little update called KB938371. It failed a few times, so I gave up! Until I realized it was a prerequisite for SP1. The other prereq. updated installed successfully after the second try. BUT the KB938371 update has failed and still failing after the 12th time.

Is it true MS is fixing the update? Then they are going to re-release it later(vista hasn't tried to auto update in a week)? If so, they better hurry b/c SP1 is just around the corner.

If there are any solutions for this problem than please inform me about them. Though I have tried many others, without success.

I am just hoping they fix it.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
2,059 Posts
Maybe a different problem, but it happened to me just before I installed SP1. In my case I scanned my update history and found it had already been installed quite a bite earlier! After a few retries the problem seemed to go away.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
2,059 Posts
I think I may have accidentally followed Broni's instructions which is why I finally had success. What I did (rather a long procedure) was uninstalled all the updates down to the successful one I have already mentioned. I then rebooted and let Microsoft update the whole lot again, which was succesful.
After the suggestion from Broni, I browsed a bit and came up with this, which is pretty much the same as his solution:
Go to 'Download details: Update for Windows Vista (KB938371)'
(http://tinyurl.com/2e9vle)
Download standalones KB937287-x86.msu and KB938371-x86.msu
Disable UAC, Anti-virus, Windows firewall and disconnect from internet
Install KB937267 (no reboot required) then KB938371 reboot and it
succesfully installs without multi bootups.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FINALLY!!! The update has installed! I don't know how though.

It says that it installed 3/11/08 and that is when I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007. When I downloaded and installed Office 2007, I rebooted my laptop. Then once I rebooted, I had to installed several updates. I never guessed one of them to be the infamous KB938371 update.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.