BMP is the format used for wallpaper. Your
experience is correct. JPGs are generally smaller
and don't work well when "stretched"

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
They used to work but it appears I've removed/disabled the Active Desktop.

Not sure if I want to change it back .. The way it is now nobody can change the wallpaper unless they know to convert the image first. I deleted all the bmp's on my system so only the current one shows up in display propertys.

Thanks For The Responce

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
You should not need Active Desktop as I have never used it.
But a easy was to use .jpg or other image formats as your wallpaper is with a image viewer or any image program that lets you turn the image your viewing into the desktop wallpaper.
This way your images do not have to be in the windows folder.
Your still have in the windows folder a copy of it as a bmp.
Like I have ACDsee to view image and you can click on any image to make it your wallpaper so it has a "ACD Wallpaper" and then I got one for Webshots to but there is only one for "ACD Wallpaper" or "Webshots ever in the windows folder. You get the same thing if you use netscape, firefox, IE etc to set the image as a wallpaper.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I have ACDsee to view image and you can click on any image to make it your wallpaper so it has a "ACD Wallpaper"
Good Mornin Man,
That is excatly how I change my wallpaper now. I'm just curious what I did that made it so I cannot select a jpg in display propertys, as wallpaper, anymore. I know it used to work? I'm sure it was something I did since I'm always tweakin stuff. I tried a few of Kelly's restore tweaks and it still doesn't recognize a jpg for a desktop wallpaper.

Not a biggie .. just playin ;)
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.