Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it since early October of 2006, and I've been enjoying it.
I'm loving the Garageband, iMovie and iDVD program, since it really helped me on some of my projects.

But this puzzles me...for the entire duration, what internet service is my Mac running on???
I know .Mac is some type of membership thing that I can't describe at the moment (something along the lines of a multimedia centre???), and i know that it doesn't offer internet service.
From what I know, I've been dealing with the 'Airport' system since October, and connecting to the "Default" network, and from time to time, service would become unavailable, but when I check again after sometime, I'm able to get back on again. And I concluded...that I'm using a Wireless Connection to get online. Am I right?
Who's providing this wireless connection? And it's been more than 90 days, and I'm sure that this internet service is not a trial version of sorts...

My Mac is a Mac OS X V 10.4.8
I've been using 'Airport' to connect to the internet ever since I got my Mac. So I do not need any ISP right? Or is this Wireless Internet Service finite?

Hopefully someone can understand my plight or help put to rest my confusion.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Ummmm,,, let me guess,,, you are living in a city w/ neighbors or in a area that has 'hotspots'. If so, then one thought is that you are actually using someone else's wireless internet - connecting via their router. Or, via different ones, since you are sometimes losing a signal - which could also be that the one you normally siphon off of is down, off, etc. :)

btw, I really am not going to laugh too hard,,, really,,, :D ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:p

Well I guess thats an explanation for it, tis strange no?

Considering I don't use a telephone modem, DSL modem, cable modem or LAN to connect to the internet, I just use Airport to connect...:confused:

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Well, consider yourself lucky, and saving some $$$ by not having that expense... yet. ;)

Really, no, not strange, just fortunate. Someone has a router w/ a signal powerful enough for you to tap into, allowing you access to the 'net - for free, via your built-in wireless adapter.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That happens all the time.

There's about four unsecured networks on my street, but unfortunately, I'm far enough away that the signal strength is terrible, and they're not very stable. Otherwise, FREE INTERNET!! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.