Tech Support Guy banner

Issues with installing drivers

142 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  MisterEd51
So, kind of a noob here, but I became really interested in computers last year. I decided to build my own PC during that summer, specs are as follows:
  • ASUS TUF Gaming H670 Pro Wifi D4
  • Intel i7-12700K
  • EVGA RTX3070ti 3 FAN
  • Corsair iCUE H150I RGB Pro XT
  • Corsair 32GB (2X16GB) D4 RGB RT
  • Samsung E 1TB 980EVO NVME M.2 SSD
  • EVGA 850 GT 80+ FM ATX PSU GOLD
In any case, this past year, I've been struggling financially so I tried to sell this PC. Sadly, I had no luck, but because I was going to sell it it, I reset everything and wiped the little amount of files I had on there in January. Well, yesterday, I just decided to say screw it and set everything up again. And it all kind of crashed and burned, so to speak.

The first thing I noticed was the beginning setup was a bit different... didn't give me the same options when installing my windows package, etc. but it could be an update between last year when I set everything up the first time and now, I'm not sure. I have a razor keyboard, and there were issues setting that up in the beginning as well (for some reason there was a big fat installation error). Not a super big deal, though. Once I got everything up, I went to ASUS's website to get the BIOS/Firmware and drivers installed.

First problem. The install for BIOS ran, my computer restarted a few times, the install "completed". So I pressed f1 to enter the setup but... then my PC just went black, nothing on screen but my mouse. Again, kind of a noob, so I thought maybe it was still getting it's brain. I let it sit like that for probably an hour before considering this is probably not what's supposed to happen. Tried to ctrl alt delete but nothing popped up, and nothing else I saw online helped. Not sure if this was the worst possible option or not, but I just restarted the PC but I didn't know what else to do, and nothing I could find online was helpful.

Second problem. Get the PC up and running again, and granted it turned on, so I decide to just deal with the BIOS issues later. I tried to run the other drivers for wifi, bluetooth, audio, etc. just to see and... none will install. No pops ups, no install packages. I thought maybe they were silent downloads, but from what I see in device manager, I don't think any of them worked. The most I got was with the realtek audio driver install- it popped open a loading screen that said something like "software installation/download loading, please wait...", but it just hung for maybe 15 minutes before force quitting and doing absolutely nothing. I tried to do a direct install from the realtek website, but that gave me an error that it couldn't complete the install because "there are no drivers", obviously. I'm not sure if these aren't working because the BIOS install had issues, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Other than those issues, the PC just keeps black/grey screening. I don't know what's happening to cause it, nor do I know how to even begin to fix it. I don't want to keep just throwing **** at the wall until something sticks because I don't want to fry the motherboard trying to figure out what's going on. I'm also just mildly afraid something is already broken and I won't be able to fix it without replacing the whole thing.

If anyone has any ideas on what's happening or how to help please let me know. I tried ASUS support and they couldn't help, and I'll probably call microcenter tomorrow to see if they can maybe help me. I'm sure some will read this and think I'm a moron, but I'm still learning and I'd just really like to fix it now and avoid/stop worrying that everything is broken.
See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
  • What version of Windows did you install?
  • Did you do a clean install?
  • Did you do a custom installation where you deleted all partitions on the boot drive?
  • Did you have the Internet connected during the installation? Doing that will help by automatically downloading many of drivers you need.
  • What version of Windows did you install?
  • Did you do a clean install?
  • Did you do a custom installation where you deleted all partitions on the boot drive?
  • Did you have the Internet connected during the installation? Doing that will help by automatically downloading many of drivers you need.
  • I installed Windows 11, but I will admit, there was something weird going on. The initial set-up wouldn't take my product key (only gave me the option to use the stick, but wouldn't recognize it), so I had to activate it after I got the PC up and running in my settings.
  • I don't believe I did a clean install (forgive me I'm not exactly sure what a clean install is, going to look it up in a moment)
  • I did not do a custom installation, and I never partitioned my boot drive (not quite sure how to do that)
  • Actually, considering it now I probably wasn't connected to the internet. I have wireless where I live now (different from where I did the first set up last year) and I don't have an ethernet cable on me, thought I could surely get one. I'm wondering now if this is the/one of the root of all my problems here...
  • I installed Windows 11, but I will admit, there was something weird going on. The initial set-up wouldn't take my product key (only gave me the option to use the stick, but wouldn't recognize it), so I had to activate it after I got the PC up and running in my settings.
  • I don't believe I did a clean install (forgive me I'm not exactly sure what a clean install is, going to look it up in a moment)
  • I did not do a custom installation, and I never partitioned my boot drive (not quite sure how to do that)
  • Actually, considering it now I probably wasn't connected to the internet. I have wireless where I live now (different from where I did the first set up last year) and I don't have an ethernet cable on me, thought I could surely get one. I'm wondering now if this is the/one of the root of all my problems here...
First make sure everything you want to save is backed up because you will be erasing everything on the boot drive.

Insert the flash drive with the Windows 11 setup
Restart the computer and select the computer boot menu.
Select to boot from the flash drive

Here are a few screenshots of some of the highlights.
Note this is only a test so you can ignore the fact the test the boot drive is too small causing the install to fail later.

Install Windows 11

1. Note if Windows 11 has already been activated you won't need to do it again.
Select I don't have a Product Key

2. Select Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)

3. Select each partition in boot drive and delete them. For example,
Select 1st partition and then select Delete

4. Select OK button to confirm deletion of the partition

5. Select 2nd partition and then select Delete

6. Select OK button to confirm deletion of the partition

7. The boot drive is now empty. Select the Next button to start the installation of Windows 11.

8. Assuming that the WiFi is connected you will eventually be asked to log into your Microsoft account. You can do that if you want. However, if you want a local account instead use the following login information:
Username: username
Password: password

The login will fail and give the error message, "Oops, something went wrong!"

You will then be allowed to create a local account.
See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts