Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to add a second hard drive to an existing system when the second hd already has Vector linux installed on it? What I'm trying to ask is can a second hd be booted when the first hd has the grub or mbr?

My scenario is this..I have Ubuntu 7.1 on the original hd and I really like Vector, I have vector installed on a different hd and have added that second hd to the computer with Ubuntu. I set the jumper from ubuntu's hd to master and vectors to slave, is this correct? If so how can I have a choice when starting the computer of which hd to boot?
Right now ubuntu runs the cards and I'm not sure how to get the vector to boot. I know that the other hd is there because it shows up in "computer" as another hd and it does have the files of vector in it but I'm not sure what to do as I'm still new at alot of the linux stuff.

I'm not sure if I need to re-install or if its possible to boot an already existing OS.

Thanks, Neal

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Is it possible to add a second hard drive to an existing system when the second hd already has Vector linux installed on it? What I'm trying to ask is can a second hd be booted when the first hd has the grub or mbr?

My scenario is this..I have Ubuntu 7.1 on the original hd and I really like Vector, I have vector installed on a different hd and have added that second hd to the computer with Ubuntu. I set the jumper from ubuntu's hd to master and vectors to slave, is this correct? If so how can I have a choice when starting the computer of which hd to boot?
Right now ubuntu runs the cards and I'm not sure how to get the vector to boot. I know that the other hd is there because it shows up in "computer" as another hd and it does have the files of vector in it but I'm not sure what to do as I'm still new at alot of the linux stuff.

I'm not sure if I need to re-install or if its possible to boot an already existing OS.

Thanks, Neal
Look at sig of "saikees'" in this thread and check out the links.
http://forums.techguy.org/unix-linux/683569-need-make-seperate-partition-new.html

There may be something there for adding 2nd disc to grub of first install.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I am working with it on the Ubuntu forums but I'm still not able to get the 2nd HD to boot. I'm pretty sure I just need to add the second HD which has Vector linux alone on it to the grub menu.

I have run fdisk and the results look O.K. with hd0,0 = Ubuntu and hd1,0 being Vector. I have run these commands...
sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
root (hdx,x)
setup (hdx)
quit
Of course I enter the hd # and partition # which is zero on both because I used the whole disk for both Ubuntu and Vector. These commands are in order just seperated when running them.

I just don't understand enough about booting and partitions on the hd etc. If anyone has some good links they could share please feel free to let me know.

Thanks, Neal

Oops, I forgot to ask about "Super grub disk" I have the latest copy but don't really understand it that well. Could that help me on this problem I'm having? If so how does it work?

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I am working with it on the Ubuntu forums but I'm still not able to get the 2nd HD to boot. I'm pretty sure I just need to add the second HD which has Vector linux alone on it to the grub menu.

I have run fdisk and the results look O.K. with hd0,0 = Ubuntu and hd1,0 being Vector. I have run these commands...
sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
root (hdx,x)
setup (hdx)
quit
Of course I enter the hd # and partition # which is zero on both because I used the whole disk for both Ubuntu and Vector. These commands are in order just seperated when running them.

I just don't understand enough about booting and partitions on the hd etc. If anyone has some good links they could share please feel free to let me know.

Thanks, Neal

Oops, I forgot to ask about "Super grub disk" I have the latest copy but don't really understand it that well. Could that help me on this problem I'm having? If so how does it work?
Hi Indy452,

I sure do hope you meant to say that the hd# is zero on both, and the partition # differs!

-- Tom

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
root (hdx,x)
setup (hdx)
quit

Thanks, Neal

I'm thinking you are going to have to reinstall grub in vector to the partition itself and not the mbr of that hd.

Or I believe there is a way in BIOS to boot from which hd you want. Not sure about the way it is set-up though or if that will need to be changed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Indy452,

I sure do hope you meant to say that the hd# is zero on both, and the partition # differs!

-- Tom
Ummm, well lets see, I think its zero for the partition right? I don't have any partitions on either hard drive other than the operating system itself. To be honest with ya, I really don't know. I do best if people tell me what to run in the terminal because I know so little about how it works thus far. I'm learning as I go though.

You see, I'm not even completely sure what a "partition" even is! Sad I know but I'm new to computers, you see I've been using MS windows the last ten years I've been computing so thats why I'm fairly uneducated on this stuff. I blame windows because like most people I know, they never even heard of Linux let alone Ubuntu or Vector, or DSL, or Open suse, or redhat or , well you get the point. I just always thought it was windows or apple thats it! I have never had the oppourtunity to really get to know how these things work.

Thanks guys, Neal

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Hi Neal,

Here is an article at Wikipedia on Booting - give it a read, and then at the bottom there is a link to a tutorial on dual/booting or multi-booting.

Focus on Grub, and how to configure the menu.lst file for Linux.

Remember, before you can install a second operating system onto a single disk, you need to know how to repartition the disk space in which to install the 2nd operating system into with enough space that is separate from the 1st operating system - otherwise, you will mess up the 1st operating system and may need to reinstall it from scratch from an OEM disk - hopefully you have one of those from MS.

Explore saikee's signature links from any of his postings in this forum. You can search for any of his postings using the Advanced Search web page.

-- Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"hopefully you have one of those from MS."

Whoaa..I don't have or use windows of any kind. I use just Ubuntu on hda and I have previously installed Vector linux gold onto hdb when it was in a different machine.
I took hdb with vector linux out of that machine and added it to the machine I have Ubuntu on giving me a total of two hard drives both with their own OS consuming the entire hard drive. Hda is set as master drive and hdb is set as slave drive leaving me with the delima of how do I get hdb (Vector) to boot after it was added to the computer.

I just want everyone to be clear that I no longer use MS windows for anything at my home.

Thanks, Neal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.