1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system:
AMD Sempron 3000+
2x 512mb DDR RAM
ATI Radeon x1600 pro (AGP) (With power needed from a disk drive power plug)
Wireless PCI card
2 LED case fans
DVD-RW

I use the PSU that came with the case which is a:
WIN POWER ATX - 450

It has a max output of 450W and a max of 20A on the 12v rail.

Is it sufficient for my current setup? If I choose to upgrade RAM to 2x 1gb sticks, should I consider upgrading it?

Thanks
Jack

·
Super Moderator
46,576 Posts
I cannot even find specs on that power supply. I would really go with a quality unit. It seems like a very low quality one since I cannot even find specs.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reccomended is 300watts.

What would you reccomend? I like the ones that are neat and tidy, only have one thickish wire to each drive rather than 4 scraggly multicoloured ones.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'd go for a 400 watt or larger anyway, you never know what you'll add. :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan to get some dual cores and a new motherboard if I get this extra job...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Following on from this, I have 2 drive leads coming out of the PSU.
Lead 1 - Hard drive one (IDE) > DVD-RW
Lead 2 - Hard drive two (IDE) > Hard drive three (IDE) > Hard drive 4 (SATA)

I need to plug in a fan, where can I plug in one? I know that 3 hard drives is a strain but I know that CD/DVD burners use alot of power when in use. Or should I just go buy another PSU?

·
Super Moderator
46,576 Posts
Put it on the molex for the dvd drive however I would really get a quality ps. Yours is pretty weak on the 12V to power all that stuff.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Actually, hard disks are not that power hungry, it's video boards and processors that consume a majority of the power. Three hard disks might consume 40-50 watts.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JohnWill said:
Actually, hard disks are not that power hungry, it's video boards and processors that consume a majority of the power. Three hard disks might consume 40-50 watts.
How many watts can go on one cable though John? I know fans don't use much but if I was copying data from one HDD to another on the same power line, I'm worried it might do something...

Or perhaps I should just scrap 3 of the 4 hard drives!

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Hell, you could put all the hard disks you could stuff into the case on a single hard disk cable! :D

I have a system here with three drives on a single cable, two hard disks and a DVD drive. A single cable with #16 wire can supply 10 amps with minimal voltage drop, that's good for about 6-7 hard disks. :D

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh right so add the fan and more hard drives and don't worry? Even with that 450watt stock PSU?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I think what is being said is that Winpower is an unknown commodity and the basic consensus is replace it with a decent brand 500watt or more psu

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, can you reccomend to me some decent PSU's somebody please.
Preferably off:
ebuyer.com
aria.co.uk
dabs.com

Thanks

·
Registered
13,404 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,576 Posts
Good brand names are antec, enermax, coolmax, and sparkle / fortron. Check the web sites you want and post a link to whatever you are going to buy. We can tell you if it is a good one or not.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.