Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung 14 inch monitor which is about 3 and a half years old. Since last some time, the display has lost its brightness.

The brightness is at its maximum from the monitor panel buttons. Through Display properties > Settings, I have brightened up the display somewhat. But even that looks dull now.

I have also tried this monitor with other computers but the result has been same.

Is it failing? Is it on the verge of dying?

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
And, if another monitor works fine on this computer....you've pretty much answered your own question........I have an older Gateway monitor with the same characteristics......

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTS '76 ...
did you try cleaning the screen with glass cleaner or something?
Yes buddy, the monitor is absolutely clean - internally as well as externally.

One thing that now I want to try is degausing. It hasn't been done since its bought and there's no degauss option available on the panal buttons of monitor nor in its driver software. So I think I will have to consult some Tech Support center to do that.

Any other options or ideas?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It very likely has a built in degaussing system that does it automatically each time it is turned on. What it sounds like is the picture tube is failing and it would probably be more expensive to replace than the cost of a new monitor.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
It's either the tube or the HV supply. Either will probably cost more to fix than a new monitor, which are pretty cheap nowadays. When monitors die nowadays, I toss them, it isn't worth it to try and fix them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You guys just discribed the problem I've been having with my monitor. Time for a new one.

AcaCandy, That Gateway monitor wouldn't happen to be an EV700 would it? Mine is so dark that it's hard to read the post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.