Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
4,031 Posts
you download part 1 to your computer - windows
you download part 2 from playstore on phone.
This is a free program - you should NOT have to pay for either download

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
you download part 1 to your computer - windows
you download part 2 from playstore on phone.
This is a free program - you should NOT have to pay for either download
Peter, I was really tired when I posted my question to you. So if I download MyPhoneExplorer to my laptop, and also to my OLD phone (which I need to return tomorrow), will I be able to not only view, but somehow save my text messages from my old phone to my computer? I realize I can always download the app to my new phone also to view things, but right now I want to save my text mesages from my old phone because Boost Mobile did not do a back up when he activated my new phone. I want to be done with this old phone and return it, and then get my new phone organized the way I want it. (I tried SMS Backup and Restore) but it failed to transfer from phone to phone -- neither could find each other's phone to send or receive).

·
Registered
908 Posts
Their is a big misunderstanding here. 5G phones are not needed. The new 5G networks are backwards compatible with many existing LTE aka 4G LTE phones. You have to check with your carrier to see if your phone is compatible.

T-Mobile bought Sprint a year ago. T-Mobile uses GSM while Sprint used CDMA the same as Verizon. As part of the merger T-Mobile would transition all Sprint customers over to its GSM network. Some existing Sprint customers could switch their phones to GSM with a new SIM card. Those with incompatible phones would receive a new free phone from Sprint. Since Boost gets their service from Sprint that is why they are affected.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I had my computer tech people help me. He used Xtransfer to pull over data from old phone to new phone. All is well know. Thanks!

·
Trusted Advisor
4,031 Posts
I had my computer tech people help me. He used Xtransfer to pull over data from old phone to new phone. All is well know. Thanks!
Glad You are going.
You should make time to play with MYphoneexplorer on your new phone to see what it can do.

·
Registered
29,110 Posts
My husband's Boost phone is not even 4G. He is currently using an old flip phone that was mine purchased probably in 2006.
I read an article that Boost/Dish is asking for an extension because they did not know 3G would be cut off so soon. If allowed, the extension would extend through March 2022 instead of ending on Dec. 31, 2021.
Finally Boost is starting to send emails and postcards informing me that the phone will not work.

I already bought him a non-smart 4G flip phone moving from Boost to Tracfone. (He wanted a flip phone.)
His current Boost plan is $20 every 3 months. The money rolls over. I buy a Tracfone card good for 60 minutes for 90 days for $19.99 plus tax and fees.
When I finally got a website account, I was happy to discover that this phone came with triple minutes. So he has 180 minutes that roll over. He will never use his minutes. He only wants minutes not text and data so what I got for him, works for his needs.

I still have a very old VM phone and case. I will e-cycle this once the 3G network is off. When I got his new phone, we tried it in the old case and it fits! So we didn't have to spend money on a new case.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I finally got a new phone for free! I dropped Boost Mobile and went with Xfnity. Same monthly rates, unlimited everything. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy 42a - 5G.
I think I am finally done setting it up. I had to learn to navigate it. I have about 30 apps so I had to sign into all of them again. But I do like the features on this one. 128GB internal storage. Says long battery life, but it sure takes a long time to charge, however I was using it constantly today. I don't like to change the settings to Battery saver because some apps won't work right.

·
Trusted Advisor
128,933 Posts
Great! I hope you'll be happy with your choices! Enjoy.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Couldn't find your phone until I realized you meant Samsung Galaxy A42 5G. If you have Windows 10 you might try the free Your Phone app from the Microsoft Store. It has a lot of capabilities you might find useful.

I did a little research to explain your comment about long charge time for your phone. I compared it to my Samsung Galaxy S21 5G.

I see two reasons for your long charge time:
  • Larger than average battery
  • Small charger
These result in a 120 minute charge time for your phone compared to 73 minutes for my phone. Of course that is explained by my phone's smaller battery and larger charger.

On the positive side your phone does have a much longer battery life than mine. That means you should be able to go all day on a battery charge. I wish I could do that.

BTW, my phone didn't even come with a charger. I had to pay $20 extra for it.

============================
Samsung Galaxy A42 5G
Battery: 5,000mAh
-----------------------------
15 watt charger
30 minutes - 27%
90 minutes - 78%
120 minutes - full charge
Battery test
Endurance rating: 144h
3G Talk time: 41h:01m
Web browsing: 19h:12m
Video playback: 24h:11m
Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
Battery: 4,000mAh
25 watt charger
30 minutes - 55%
73 minutes - full charge
18 watt charger
30 minutes - 40%
85 minutes - full charge
Battery test
Endurance rating: 93h
3G Talk time: 27h:30m
Web browsing: 10h:57m
Video playback: 15h:10m
References

Samsung Galaxy A42 5G review
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a42_5g-review-2210p3.php

Samsung Galaxy S21 5G review
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s21-review-2218p3.php

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Couldn't find your phone until I realized you meant Samsung Galaxy A42 5G. If you have Windows 10 you might try the free Your Phone app from the Microsoft Store. It has a lot of capabilities you might find useful.

I did a little research to explain your comment about long charge time for your phone. I compared it to my Samsung Galaxy S21 5G.

I see two reasons for your long charge time:
  • Larger than average battery
  • Small charger
These result in a 120 minute charge time for your phone compared to 73 minutes for my phone. Of course that is explained by my phone's smaller battery and larger charger.

On the positive side your phone does have a much longer battery life than mine. That means you should be able to go all day on a battery charge. I wish I could do that.

BTW, my phone didn't even come with a charger. I had to pay $20 extra for it.

Samsung Galaxy A42 5G
Battery: 5,000mAh
15 watt charger
30 minutes - 27%
90 minutes - 78%
120 minutes - full charge
Battery test
Endurance rating: 144h
3G Talk time: 41h:01m