Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ive just retrieved a motherboard from work and assebled it in a case but it doesnt seem boot. when i turn on the power at at the back of the case the keyboard lights light up for a second then go off, i try the power switch no power to the pc, and then i look at the board insdie the computer and see a red LED illuminated there, but nothing seems to power. is my board blown? or would this not happen on a blown board

thanks

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Recheck the wireing . . particularly the wireing from the on/off switch and the board . . the red light is a good sign . . it means the board has power.

wrs

·
Registered
14,673 Posts
And always try a board outside the case before you install it, especially a used board. If you are grounding somewhere on the case you would have exactly the problem you are having now.

You may have to pull the board and try it outside the case on a non conductive surface. If it posts outside the case you were grounding somewhere. Try loosening the screws to the board and shifting it a bit inside the case first. You might get lucky.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you say try it on a non conductive surface? does that mean I can put it on the motherboards box just outside the case? because theres only so far the wires will reach when pulling it away from the case.

·
Retired Administrator
104,767 Posts
simpswr said:
Recheck the wireing . . particularly the wireing from the on/off switch and the board . . the red light is a good sign . . it means the board has power.

wrs
Actually, that could be a bad sign too. I had one board that gave me, I think, 3 or 4 little lights in a row. Whatever lights were lit was the exact code to a bad cpu :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.