Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told by a buddy that I trust NOT to upgrade to 5.5. I'm assuming that 6.0 is even worse. Why is this? He says that 5.5 is much more "buggy" than 5.01. Is this true??

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
Jpop
First off there is few significant differences between 5.01 and 5.5.
Both have proven to be stable on most systems. You will get many different opinions on all three IE versions some will loath and others will swear by it. If you are currently using 5.01 SP2 and all is working great and you are satisfied why upgrade.
My Win98 system has 5.01 SP2 and is very stable. My other three have WinME 5.5 SP2 and are Two are very stable so it depends on the system and enhancements/alterations you make to each explorer.
IE6 on the other hand has not set a track record yet and again for some they swear its the best since apple pie and others think the dog left it behind. Personally I will stay with what works on the work horse machine and if I have the luxury I will experiment on another.
Just my Two cents.
Dave

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Dave said.......

"IE6 on the other hand has not set a track record yet and again for some they swear its the best since apple pie and others think the dog left it behind. Personally I will stay with what works on the work horse machine and if I have the luxury I will experiment on another.
Just my Two cents."

I agree 100%, so with my two cents that is now four cents.....

I betcha we can get to ten cents here PDQ

DS

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point guys. I just didn't know if maybe a good reason to update would be because of "hacker" vunerablities in 5.01, bug fixes, etc. I'll stick w/ 5.01 for a while then.

Also... are you guys getting a "Bugnosis" pop up on the bottom of your screens when viewing these pages??

Jason

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Well, I've been using 6.0 now for about 2 months....but then I like to live on the wild side a bit..... :D

However, I pay in centavos, and if it's not broken and you can't fix it if you break it......leave well enough alone.....newer versions will be pushed down your throat soon enough anyway......

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
Candy
Not sure what the exchange rate is now but who cares your thoughts are worth more.
Up to 6 cents now!
Opps goofed on wording!

Edit above.............Not sure what the exchange rate is now your
To..........................Who cares what the exchange rate is now your
Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave,

Ha! I forgot I installed that software last week. This is the first time I've seen it pop up. It doesn't like the pop that appears at the bottom of this forum. Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Jason: I have been using 5.5 with SP2 for quite sometime with no problems. I refuse to download IE 6.0 for quite sometime also!
I need to give Gates & Co. several months to release several SP's that will fix all the errors that are in 6.0.
I post at another Windows BBS site and the Internet Explorer section which prior to release 6.0 had about 10 posts a week .. is now LOADED with pages of PROBLEMS dealing with 6.0 from users who just had to have the "latest & greatest" from Gates & Co.....I am sure that they too will be loading XP & then crying over that too!:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, the Canadian$ isn't worth the effort to convert, but here are my 2c;)

I tried IE6 for about two weeks.....then I ditched it. The first thing I hated was that it installed itself OVER my 5.5 with no option to uninstall, unless I went back to 4 or something...that was very stinky!

Maybe I just did it too soon, and Billy-Boy has worked out some of the bugs, but I found it was almost as bad as NS at rendering nested tables and other such HTML delights. A nightmare for a designer like me.

The stats on my server are showing less than 1% of viewers have IE6 (when they visit my sites anyway) and even less than that for NS6. So, until I see otherwise I am not advising an "upgrade" to any of my clients. IE5.5 with the 128-bit encryption does anything you want it to do, and probably more....and besides the longer we can wait for those STUPID "smart tags" to become active the better IMHO.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Jason,

I'm sure we're past 10 cents here now.........

.........good thread, I learned something else also thanks to ClassyLinks.

DS

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree... What's the lesson here? Buy a Mac?? HA!! I've used Mac's before...and they are very NICE. Both platforms have their place I think. I'm gonna buy one for recording audio (Pro Tools).

Great thread. Thanks all!

Jason

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I lurk (and sometimes post) on several dedicated burning sites, and everyone seems very happy with Nero 5.5. One very vocal person can make it sound like an avalanche, but everyone seems to be doing fine with it.

It has some nifty new features and the upgrade is free from Nero 5. I use Feurio for audio, but I hear the wave editor is great. New features: http://www.nero.com/en/nero55.htm

Never pass up a chance to get a new toy.

Then again, I’m not touching IE6 until the first service pack as I’ve done with each IE version.

What good are pennies anyway. I put them in a jar and try to give them to the kids – but even they won’t take them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Slipe,

I'm gonna buy a Mac to use as a Digital Audo Workstation (DAW). I'm a musician, ( http://jasonsheroan.tripod.com ) and going the Mac/Pro Tools route best suits me. Most of my friends have this set up too. You don't *have* to have a Mac to run Pro Tools, but PT was designed on a Mac, and runs the best on one. I'll still use a PC for all other things. As you know, in the A/V world...Mac is king.

On a side note, I've not used Nero, but I'm a crazed Feurio user! Nothing beats it for burning CD's. EZCD is crap if you ask me. Others do fine w/ it. Maybe EZCD5.0 is more stable, but in the past... I haven't been impressed. Too many weird things can happen w/ it. Just go to the rec.comp.periphs.cdr newsgroup and see for yourself. They hate EZCD there! HA!

Thanks!

Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.