Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IP cam: Software OK, but IP in browser don't show camera

15K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  bjorn2390 
#1 ·
Goal: To watch the camera remotely via Internet.

(You maybe think this problem is sufficient covered in various forums, but really, I can't seem to get it right.)

Camera is MySmartCamera, an IP and WiFi camera. This camera comes in various versions, but to see which I have: This is the one.
As long as I am on the same router, the real-time video works on my iPhone (app = p2pCameraViewer) and PC (software = SYSM Monitor). Win7 Home Premium 64bit. I can also see the camera on iPad and an old tablet running Android.

When I type in the ip-adress of the camera in my browser, the browser says This page is not available, and IP-adress is rejected... It tells me to check things, let the browser through the Firewall, and about proxy.
The same result from Google Chrome, Opera and Internet Explorer.

I'm using router D-link DIR-615, but also tried on ZyXEL P-2812HNU-F3. I'm now focusing on the DIR-615, because it seems a bit more user friendly in the setup.

I've tried to read about port forwarding, and tried to follow how-to's and video's about this. No luck. Also the page http://arllc.net/findipcam/ recommended to change the IP-adress of the router from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1, because "some ip cameras have default ip address, like 192.168.1.178. If your router's ip address is not 192.168.1.x, then you are in trouble. oh, no. but you still have chance. Basically, you need to configure your router so it's ip address is 192.168.1.1." (So I did.)

Also tried to use another router.

What am I missing? Why can't I get the camera viewed in my browser? I guess this is the key to get further in getting it forwarded, so I can watch the camera from the Internet, e.g. from my office.

I really would like to see a guide for dummies on this issue. I mean: Is there a spesific port I should use? I've read the guides for port's carefully. The guides usually shows how to connect to online gaming, but this?

I really need the step by step guide for IP camera for dummies here. I feel I'm sooo close. The yet, so far away.

See less See more
#7 ·
Do you know how I can check this?
If this is the case, it means the camera is no good for anything, other than in-house-use. Maybe for baby monitoring and so on. I didn't know it was possible that it could not work via Internet. The wifi-solution and the possibility in the app to use the app over the Internet maybe fools me.

#8 ·
If it supports it then it should be documented in the manual and the manufacturer's website, from what I've found it doesn't mention it. Also the low price of $20 suggests it might not have that ability. There's plenty of cameras that do support web access either directly through the use of port forwarding on your router or via a relay service. The camera's I generally deal with are Axis but they can be very expensive, DLink also has network cameras.

#12 ·
Axis cameras are indeed very nice.

I personally am using Hikvision cameras. They're not as pricey as Axis cameras but are high quality cameras with very good video quality both in daylight and at night using the built in IR illumination. All of the Hikvision cameras can be accessed via app software or through a web browser. The cameras can also be centrally managed viewed from a single NVR. The indoor cube cameras I use also have 2 way audio capability, WiFi or Ethernet, can be powered via PoE or with a power brick, and have the ability to store video locally via a micro SD, via a NAS, or to your PC through the app software or web interface.

Oh and the best part of the system, you're not a slave to any cloud service and monthly charges. Once you pay for the system, you're done and you have total control over all your captured video and equipment.

#9 ·
I have the exact same problem with my Kkmoon camera. This is the one that I guess have the same components inside with all the other cameras that looks alike, I guess the plastic outside is more or less the only thing that is different between them. I'm talking about this camera. This also works without problems on the computer (SYSM Monitor), and on the iPhone (app = p2pCamViewer). It works plugged in the router, and it works unplugged (WiFi). But in the browsers, it will not show. @Triple6
Any thoughts?

#13 ·
This is the right model camera, but the software is another than the one that came with the camera. The one you found (doyog) is a big challenge if you don't manage to read chinese (I don't), but copy-the-monkey-method of youtube video, I managed to get it in and fill in the right information in the dialogue boxes. But they don't accept my registration. Even: The field for email, has not enough caracters for my email address. (How 'bout that!) But I used another email address I have (shorter), and it took. But nevertheless, I can't log in with my new information. So this was pretty crappy. I just have to try again. And again. But if it doesn't work now, why should it work later?

I managed to get the registration right on my iPhone. But adding a new device, putting in the information from the camera (Device, password/accesscode) will not work. It doesn't take, even though I get the confirmation.
:rolleyes:

#15 ·
Please teach me this (n)
I have several more cameras, but I think there must be something I didn't knew I had to be aware of. Fortunately, camera's are getting cheaper day by day.

To be sure, on the cameras I look for and buy now, what feauture in them should I look for to ensure they have "web interface", meaning they can
  • broadcast via web, and
  • give me warning on my mobile phone when detected motion?
Take this one, for example. What is this one missing, or should I look for?

#16 ·
This is an article you may want to read as well: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2033...acking-over-the-internet-researchers-say.html

You will get what you pay for, it you are looking at low cost camera's only, it is not going to be easy to find everything you are looking for.
However, you have to find one that fits your needs.
Will you be using the camera inside, outside, or both?
Will you want the camera to be able to record at night? With low lighting? etc.
I do not know of any security camera that will send you an alert when motion is detected, for that you would need a motion sensor.

If you are looking for a quick and easy answer, there really isn't one. You need to take the time and research what you need.

Here is website with security camera reviews that might give you an idea: http://www.asecurelife.com/security-camera-reviews/

#17 ·
To tag along with what Donald has said, you can't get everything you want in a cheap package and expect it to perform. Video quality should be your number 1 priority. If you can't make out someone's face in day and night time situations, you might as well just give the thief you're concerned about the money you spent on the cameras too.

I checked one of my Hikvision cameras and it does have the ability to send an email alert upon detecting motion. It also has electrical terminals to wire it into an alarm system if you happen to have one. So the camera can be another sensor to your security system to trigger it.

The best site I've found bar none for IP camera reviews is this:

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/

Unfortunately the owner of the site/reviewer of the cameras passed away unexpectedly. His family said they were going to continue posting reviews but that hasn't happened in over a year. At least the site is still up as a reference on what to look for in a good camera. I learned a lot reading through his reviews.

These are the cameras I have installed in my home:

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2236

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2135

And OP, contrary to what you think, cameras are getting cheaper but not the ones you want to spend your money on. The good ones have always stayed in a certain price range. From what I've seen, the price has remained steady at about $150 and up. What you get with each successive version is better resolution, better low light capabilities, and more features.

I standardized on Hikvision and use their NVR appliance with a 4TB drive to store my captured video. My system has been running for about 2 years now for the most part trouble free. There are times I had to reboot one or two cameras but that is after some months of straight up time.

Again, you get what you pay for.

#18 ·
Thank you!
BTW I really appreciate that you take the time to educate me about this.
I understand there is no easy way. Thank you for the homework, I'll take the time to further study it.

I already got a couple of cameras that does brodcast via web, has optional nightvision, WiFi — and give alert via 3G/4G when detected motion. They are ImogenStudio +Cam. They are as good as plug'n'play. After set up, the user interface is "even mum can" easy.

But the resolution is not the best, so I want to expand, and explore the possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.