Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just gave my parents my college computer that I had for over four years now(Emachine w/Windows XP). When I was living off campus I had comcast internet to my computer it was fast and everything worked fine. Well a few days ago they switch to comcast and the cable guy could not get the computer to connect. When I called the techs we walked through the cmd steps with the ipconfig and release and renew but still limited to no connection was still showing up on the LAN. He said if I have a 169 showing for my IP address that I could not connect and to call Emachine. Which only thing they told me was to contact my ISP or call them(3.99/min yeah right!). So really need so help before I dish out some money to help my parents.

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Welcome to TSG
They switched to Comcast?Who was the prior ISP ?
Let's start with the basics.
Make and model of modem and router(if installed )
And the results of an ipconfig /all
From a Johnwill post on the Networking Forum

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
______

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had Comcast back at school, when I gave them the computer this summer they had AT&T and just switch to comcast a few days ago.

Windows IP Config
Host name..........:YOUR-7660552B9E
Primary DNS Suffix........:
Node Type.........:Unknown
IP Routing Enabled .....:No
WINS Proxy Enabled....:No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix....:
Description....:Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NCI #2
Physical Address....:00-40-CA-AB-BB-D0
Dhcp Enabled.....:No
IP Adress.....:192.168.0.201
Subnet Mask....:255.255.255.0
Default Gateway.....:192.168.0.1

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
Need a complete ipconfig /all.
Is there a router in this mix ?
You are getting a network assigned address 198.168. from somewhere.So you have an apparent connection to your local network.
And then do these pings :
IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address> For addresses,follow instructions below….

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING www.yahoo.com
Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above. IPV4 for Vista

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
______

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And thats the complete list....all my zip disks are back in SC and at there house in atlanta. Which they dont even have a disk so I'm a friends network trying to work

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, you also don't have DHCP enabled, which may well be the real issue.

Select Start > Settings > Network Connections.

• Double-click the Connection icon of the connection you wish to modify to open the Local Area Connection Status window.
  • Click the Properties button to open the Local Area Connection Properties window.
  • Click to highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
  • Click the Properties button to open the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window.
  • TCP/IP Properties window, IP Address tab
  • Select Obtain an IP address automatically.
  • Select Obtain DNS server address automatically.
  • Click OK to return to the Local Area Connection Properties window.
  • Click OK to return to the Network Connections window.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.