Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lucent Modem with no original software. The PC assigns it Interrupt 4 and says that the modem is COM1, but there is already a USB port COM1 with that interrupt.

When I went into the BIOS setup to check the assignments, it has ALL interrupts assigned elsewhere. (There is a scanner, mic, video, etc.) and all interrupts appear to be used by existing peripherals. However, this machine has no DSL modem, modem or other device to connect to the internet. It seems as if there would be some available interrupt to assign to this modem.

Why are interrupts limited (it has 15, what about the zero one)? I know binary, so I know the limitations of it going from 0000 to 1111, but why can't there be more seeing as there are so many peripherals to choose from now?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi there,

If your OS is Win9x, you can use pci bus IRQ steering. It might be disabled by your PC's manufacturer. Better consult with them before you enable it.

The limitation on IRQ is not really a binary thing. It's due to a first IRQ controller chip IBM used, which had only 8 wires.

IRQ00 is for system timer and 01 is for key board controller.

Does your USB have to be on COM1?

TJ

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.