Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes... And it's not the first time it has happened.
It usually happens when the power goes out, even for a half a second.. Like today, it was a beautiful day out, sunny, hot.. Then out of the god damn blue the power flickers.. What the hell... I go check my internet (because i'm now aware when this happens, the internet doesn't come back), I tried an address and it worked (msn.com) and.. Tried yahoo, nothing, tried google... nothing.

So it connected, but then lost in about 15 seconds... WHY!?
This is seriously pissing me off now, if this continues to happen.. So help me god i'll smash my modem and router into 100 pieces.
I hope you can understand my frustration.

What ive tried :
Power cycling, resetting both, flushing DNS (since it appears its a DNS problem), unplugging them and replugging them in god knows how many times.. Anyways, i'm sure there is tons of things I haven't tried that I don't know of, which is why i'm here.

And i'm on the computer right now, this is DIRECT (so modem connected directly to PC) when I do that? It works fine and dandy! But when I connect my modem to my router = NOPE, both on PC and laptop.

So keep in mind, sometimes it connects for about 20 seconds then loses it, what could be causing that? And how do I get my internet back up :(

Oh, and telling me to call my manufacturers will do me no good :(, sorry.. Have called computer manufacturer, router, modem, ISP, in previous times, got zero help.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Do you think you could share the actual make and model of the modem and the router?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

Note that the wireless encryption and channel selection will have to be done after the basic wired connection is established, the first step is to get wired connections working.

• Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
  • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
  • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
  • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
  • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
  • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
  • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Franco>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LUCIANO
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-13-20-E1-9D-1F
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:32:18PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 02, 2009 7:32:18 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Franco>ping 192.168.2.2
Pinging 192.168.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.2.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 192.168.2.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Franco>ping 192.168.2.1
Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=255
Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=255
Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 2ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Franco>ping 192.168.2.1
Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:

C:\Documents and Settings\Franco>ping 206.190.60.37
Pinging 206.190.60.37 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.2.1: Destination net unreachable.
Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:

C:\Documents and Settings\Franco>ping yahoo.com
Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
That appears to indicate that the router is there, but the connection to the modem may be the issue.

Have you tried connecting directly to the modem (power cycle the modem for 30 seconds to change the attached device), and then see if it all works.

If the connection to the modem is solid, then you have a bad router or bad cables. Given this seems connected to a power surge of some kind, my bet would be on the router if the modem functions correctly.

If you have the problem with the modem as well, it could be the modem or the NIC on your machine that's damaged by the surge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That appears to indicate that the router is there, but the connection to the modem may be the issue.

Have you tried connecting directly to the modem (power cycle the modem for 30 seconds to change the attached device), and then see if it all works.

If the connection to the modem is solid, then you have a bad router or bad cables. Given this seems connected to a power surge of some kind, my bet would be on the router if the modem functions correctly.

If you have the problem with the modem as well, it could be the modem or the NIC on your machine that's damaged by the surge.
Yes.
When I connect directly with my modem to my computer, I get internet.
When Router + Modem are connected, I get connected but nothing that requires internet works, this is very frustrating.
I'm taking it that it is the router, since the cables seem to be alright.
It comes back on for a few days then just goes back down again and doesn't come back up, yeah.. Definately the router, so my best bet would be to pick up a new one?
and is this a good choice? (It's within my price range)
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/prod...line&category=WirelessNetwork&product=2513543

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.