Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question...I have a Laptop PC running WinXP connected via direct connection (ethernet cable) to my Desktop PC running Win98SE. I use a standard 56k dial up modem to connect to the internet and would like to connect to the internet from my laptop pc via my desktop pc. Meaning....my modem line is plugged into my desktop and the ethernet connection links the two, but I want to access the internet without having to constantly unplug the modem from my desktop and plug it in to my laptop. I want to sign on to the internet with my desktop and then access the internet from my laptop (since it is connected to the desktop via the ethernet cable, won't this work?) If so, HOW?
Please advise.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
You'll need some type of proxy server. Windows 98SE included Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). I'm sorry, but I don't have access to a Windows 98SE computer right now to see where the install is located but I believe it's in Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab. Just walk through the install and you'll be prompted to make a disk. Make the disk, pop it in the other computer and run the file on it. That 'should' take care of everything for you.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Originally posted by angel
You'll need some type of proxy server. Windows 98SE included Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). I'm sorry, but I don't have access to a Windows 98SE computer right now to see where the install is located but I believe it's in Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab. Just walk through the install and you'll be prompted to make a disk. Make the disk, pop it in the other computer and run the file on it. That 'should' take care of everything for you.
Exact path is Add/remove programs, windows setup, internet tools

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice...but the problem is that my Laptop PC is running WinXP and when I plugged that disk in...it stated that it needed Win98 or Win 95 to run...I tried that and one other method on WinXP...but when I try to set my Desktop as Host and my Laptop as Guest...I go to the portion where it asks through what connection I want to connect and it only gives me the option to choose my serial com port...I have the two connected via a crossed ethernet cable. I don't know how to change it so that I have that option to choose from...since I don't want to add a serial cable when the ethernet cable already works fine between the two...and I suppose is faster...let me know what you think, if there is something I can do to add this cabling option when I go to set up the internet sharing.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D
:rolleyes: :D :D
:D :D :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
On the laptop, goto network properties, make sure TCP/IP is installed and bound to the ethernet adapter. Set it to obtain IP automatically, disable DNS, and set the gateway to the ICS machine's IP, usually 192.168.0.1 (or was it 10.0.0.1...shrug). YMMV. When you installed ICS on the host (desktop computer), it should have told you how to do a manual install on the other machines you want to share, if you don't want to create the disk. It's been awhile since I've used it.
It sounds like what you tried to do on the XP machine was setup Direct Cable Connection. That won't work for Internet Connection Sharing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I did already set up Direct Cable Connection between computers. But when I went to install Internet Connection Sharing...I was only given the option to use the serial port...Are the directions you are giving me going to do: (1) stop the Direct Cable Connection network that I've set up, and/or (2) create the ability to choose the ethernet cable for sharing the internet connection?
...and forgive me...what is YMMV?

·
Registered
481 Posts
YMMV= "Your Mileage May Vary", meaning it might work, it might not. :)
If you have an ethernet connection between the two machines, Direct Cable connection is not needed. Was this something you've been using, or just setup to try and share the internet?
DCC and ICS are two separate things, designed to serve 2 entirely different functions.
If you're using an ethernet cable, meaning you have Network Interface cards in each machine, DCC is a waste of time. It's a client/peer situation, meaning one is a host, and the other is the client, you can only send info one way. Using the ethernet connection, in conjunction with TCP/IP or the NetBEUI protocol makes a peer to peer network, info can flow both ways. I prefer TCP/IP, some suggest NetBEUI to help with certain problems, but TCP/IP is needed for ICS.
See this MSKB article for more info on setting up and troubleshooting ICS:
http://support.microsoft.com/suppor...nt setup&rnk=8&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Todd,
Thanks...I think this will work great. One question about Analog X, though....Do I need to be signed in (vial my dial up modem) on my Desktop PC, if I want to sign in via my Laptop PC that I have hooked up, or can I dial up(remotely, as it were) from my Laptop and access the internet? Or do I have to have the Desktop dialed up first, then access it with my laptop? Right now, I have them both running with the Analog X proxy program.
:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Sorry I took so long to respond.

As long as your desktop is connected to the internet, you will be able to connect to the internet through your desktop via AnalogX proxy. Your desktop must be running though for this to work and must be online. One thing you can do is set your desktops dial up networking properties to connect automatically, that way if you are on your laptop, and your desktop isn't already connected to the internet, when you open internet explorer on your laptop, your desktop will automatically connect to the internet. You still have to disconnect from the internet on your desktop computer though. Hope this helps :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.