Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem is that I have an active internet connection (dial-up) but neither of my two browsers (IE6 and Netscape) can find any websites. This is running XP Pro.

It's as if the connection isn't recognized as being there? I've tried pinging but that doesn't work either.

What can go wrong between having an active connection (shown on the task-bar icon) and having it accessible to applications? What can I check on?

TIA, guys!

TopGreyed :confused:

·
Registered
429 Posts
welcome to TSG

Couple questions for you...

By active connection you mean that you use a dialup service? Usually active connections are via cable modem and or dsl... dial up is dial up. Just curious

Second under properties for network places LAN (properties again) and TCP/IP properties are you settings set you 'obtain IP address automatically' and same for DNS? If not make note of what you have in 'use the following IP address boxes and switch the settings to obtain IP (and DNS) address automatically

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BannerGuy said:
welcome to TSG
Couple questions for you...
By active connection you mean that you use a dialup service?
Second ... are yoru settings set to 'obtain IP address automatically' and same for DNS?
It is dialup (by active I meant that it is definitely connected) and the settings are to obtain an IP address automatically and same for DNS.

I'll have to go back to the PC to double check on the other stuff (it's not actually my machine I'm sorting). Many thanks to all who replied... I'll let you know what develops.

TopGreyed :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.