Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DNS and just general internet browsing seems to be REALLY slow.

Pages take 15 seconds + to load sometimes, and I am on 8MB DSL. The computer is not the problem (hardware isn't anyway, check the thing above for specs). I don't know if this is a software issue or networking problem but it's really annoying.

Direct downloads (files etc) download fine at 750 Kb/s (what it usually is/was) but webpages are slow as anything. It seems to only be a problem on this one computer in the network. The others appear to be acting fine (though they both use IE both versions 6 and 7, I use firefox (2.0.0.12)). My computer is wired to the router using ethernet and one of the two other working computers is also. The other being a laptop uses wireless.

The router is a BT Home Hub (UK BT ISP supplied router) which I initially thought was the problem and was about to pick up the phone and rant at tech support but seeing the other computers are fine, I figured the router is not to blame, this time.

Any ideas? Usually I'd repair the offending network connection on XP but in Vista the 'Diagnose' option just says "everything is fine..."

Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IE (7) is just as slow and firefox safemode is even worse.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Computer security should be fine, norton anti-virus and firewall and I ran a few spyboy + adaware scans a few weeks ago.

Ran the optimizer, slightly better but still annoyingly slow..

·
Registered
978 Posts
Is your browsing speed the same, when other computers are off?
Did you try to reset router, and modem?
Did you try to bypass router, and connect straight to the modem?
How surfing speed would be in Safe Mode with Networking?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Browsing speed is the same regardless of what other computers are on.
I have power-cycled the router, but not done a factory reset, I will do that next.
It's an all-in-one router/modem job
I will try safe mode with networking when I next boot up, its getting late now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.