Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I actually have two questions. Sorry if either has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer with a search (perhaps I'm just crap at searching).

One.

I have recently installed windows XP and have an internet pro keyboard. Whilst the extended keys appear to work, the graphical on screen volume bar and other displays don't (they used to under ME but that was with the previous version of intellitype (1.1, I think)). Did I format the drive with the existing drivers on it when I put on XP? Of course I did, doh.

Easy solution. Download the intellitype 2.1 software contained in the file ITP2_1EngNoMsi.exe from Microsoft. Problem solved. Or apparently...

I have downloaded this file several times from the only place it seems to exist on the web, ie Microsoft. The result is the same every time....

"The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity and try again."

I've got 2 completely separate pc's (only one has an internet pro keyboard though). They both have internet access via a USB ADSL connection on one of them, the second is using ICS.

The file downloads "corrupt" on both of them so it's not the hard disk or other hardware so far as I can see. One is running XP and the other ME so it's not the O/S. Other files I download are fine, so it's hard to see it being the connection either which is the only common thing apart from the file itself.

Can't think Microsoft have a corrupt file to download but what else could it be? They haven't replied to my post at the usenet group "microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support" about the problem either.

Any clues gratefully received!

Two.

Not really a problem more a query.

Is there any software out there that allows you to control sound volume *by application*?

What I mean is, I frequently work/play at my pc with media player doing it's thing with MP3's at a fair volume, however I want other sounds to be quieter "mail in" "spider solitaire" whatever.

I know you can adjust the volume by *source* but MP3's and both the above example apps seem to be controlled by the wav source volume.

I can't be the only person in the world who wants to do this but I can't find anythng to do it with (said I might be crap at searching).

TIA for any reply.
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:confused:

Did I make a netiquette poopah? Or is it that I need to provide more information? Or am I just er... *lucky* enough to post uninteresing or unanswerable questions? Why has my envelope got a hole in the middle? Wheres the smiley for paranoia?

Steve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please read bottom to top.

Thanks a lot Richard.

FTP worked for me too. Though why (despite the file clearance suggested) the standard method doesn't......

<rant time>
Although the kludge I tried worked well enough for me, this kind of thing bugs the living daylights out of me. It's not that I mind something not working, as much as not knowing *why* it doesn't work, and being given a hard time to find out. If they know this is a bit iffy, then why can't they put at the bottom "If this doesn't work, please email [email protected]? I'm a bit happier now because like yourself the FTP worked. However the first M/S suggestion didn't. Why do you and I have to put this kind of effort into something that should work first time? What does "Joe Blow" do? He won't know how to get to get the first answer, never mind the second or how to implement it.
<end rant, although i could go on for hours, end loop>

XP is miles better than ME though.....

(big cheesy grin)

Best wishes.
Steve

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 1:44 PM
Subject: RE: Intellitype 2.1

> Steve
>
> I got an answer from MS I attach it below. I got it from the FTP site and
> it worked fine.
>
> MESSAGE FROM MICROSOFT FOLLOWS:::
>
> Hi Richard,
> Thank you for your reply and for working with me.
> I performed some further research on this issue. The problem is possible
> caused by the corrupted download temp files in the Internet temp file
> folder. Now, let's try the following steps.
> 1. Click Start->Settings->Control Panel
> 2. Select Network and Internet Connections
> 3. Click Internet Options
> 4. Under the General tab, click the Delete Files button
> 5. Click Yes to delete all Temporary Internet files
> 6. Try to download the file again.
> Does the problem still occur?
> I also downloaded a correct copy and place it on our FTP site for you. You
> can retrieve it by performing the following steps:
> a. ftp> open ftppss.microsoft.com.
> b. When prompted, log on as "anonymous" (without the quotation marks), using
> the e-mail address as the password.
> c. ftp> cd outgoing/windows
> d. ftp> type image (OR ftp> bin).
> e. ftp> get SRZ011112000900.zip.
> f. ftp> quit.
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected]
> [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: 13 November 2001 10:28
> To: richard
> Subject: Re: Intellitype 2.1
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> No they haven't come back to me either yet (major surprise). I had just
> about resigned myself to living without the s/w when I had an idea, unusual
> for me.
>
> I just fudged the download site by telling it I had NT4 which provides a
> different file, can't remember the exact name, I have subsequently deleted
> it, but it includes something like "EngAll". This seems to work well enough
> for me, at any rate it displays the volume bar which us what I was after.
>
> Hope this helps, let me know.....
>
> Steve
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Richard" Full name & email deleted.
> To: <[email protected]>
> Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 9:25 AM
>
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I saw your posting about trying to get Intellitype 2.1 to install under
> XP.
> > I have the same problem - Microsoft haven't given me an answer but I'm
> still
> > trying. If you should solve it before me I would be grateful for any
> info.