Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to find out/understand the relative speed of the new pentium M processors

I have been offered a laptop through work with the following specs

Intel pentium M 730. 1.6gig 533mhz fsb (2mb L2)
512DDR Ram
60gig h/drive

and i was wondering how the clock speed compares to a normal intel processor ie 2.4gig.

I have tried looking on intels website and had no joy wotsoever, and seeing as i am a noobie, am easily cofused

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
well a 1.6Ghz P4 M runs at 1.6Ghz. My 2.6 runs at 2.6

difference is in chip archetecture.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think what he means is in general benchmarks.

Back when the x86 chips came out, there was more to the chips than the MHz. A 40MHz 386DX was slightly outperformed by a 40MHz 486.

Same is true now. Different architectures offer different performance boosts.

My P4-M laptop runs at 2.0GHz. Sadly my AMD desktop running at 1.8GHz core speed blows it away even in non-graphical tasks. It's a shame, really. Same RAM (512MB), close to same video (Mobile Radeon 8500 on lappy Vs. Radeon 9100 Pro in desktop), only main issue was the HD speeds (5400rpm on lappy vs. 7200rpm on desktop).

·
Registered
579 Posts
Iaramon is right. It's not easy to compare the performance of one processor with another because so many factors (in the processor itself and in the overall set-up, speed and capability of other components in the computer) affect the result.

One site scores the Pentium M 1.6 at 62%, the Pentium 4-M 2.4 at 78% and the Celeron 2.4 at 59% (based upon a combined rating of integer, floating-point, and multimedia performance). So while increase in GHz from 1.6 to 2.4 is 150%, the increase in performance is less, at just under 126%.

I understand that Pentium Ms user fewer clock cycles to complete an instruction compared with a Pentium 4, which balances to some extent the lower rated clock speed.

The main thing about the Pentium M730 is that it's a Centrino processor - a grouping designed specifically for laptops (tho I think now also available for desktops) and offering longer battery life, built-in wireless capability and resulting in laptops that are generally smaller/thinner/lighter than laptops using mobile versions of the P4.

Depending on what you're using the computer(s) for and how they are set up, I'd guess that the Pentium M would be slower for certain applications than a Pentium 4 2.4 desktop, but in a laptop the Pentium M is likely to be a better choice than a mobile Pentium 4 when all factors are taken into account.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.