Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a major problem trying to install some s/w (Sansa MediaConverter) on my P4, Win XP SP2 PC.

Just as the s/w begins to install I get a fatal error - (something like) "Unable to create a file that already exists ... C:\Progam Files\Common Files\Installshield\engine\6\Intel 32\iuser.dll"

Since I was able to install the s/w on a friend's similar PC I think the problem is a compatability or bug with XP and/or the Installshield appln on my machine.

I followed some suggestions (from the Installshield support site) and cleaned up my temp file, deleted the 'Engine 6' folder and reinstalled the Installshield 'ikernal.exe' but this hasn't helped.

Surprisingly when I tried to reinstall the 'ikernal' it also runs into exactly the same error! - so there is some issue with how the Installshield (Engine 6) is working on my PC.

Will be very appreciative for any ideas and advice on how to resolve this.

Many thanks.

P.S. I have had no other problems installing and running programs on this 2 yr old PC!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If you've deleted the 'engine' folder once already with no apparent problems, then try renaming the iuser.dll to something like iuser.dll.old then try the install again.

Scorp.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea Scorp - I renamed the file to iuser.ddl.ORG and re-ran the SMC program but it bombed the same way, with the same error msg.

Really frustrating!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Ok, another thought...open the C:\Progam Files\Common Files folder, and make sure the Installshield folder is not read only...also make sure of the same for all subsequent files and folders. Might be the problem.

Scorp

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally had a chance to jump back on this problem.

The attribute on this folder is read only - but it looks like all/most of the Program File directories are read only - and windows doesn't seem to care (or so I would think based on my Googling/reading).

I'm not sure how to change it to being not read only.

It was a good thought but I'm guessing it isn't the root cause of my problem - unless you see it differently.

Welcome any further ideas and comments...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.