Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 18 months ago I bought an Asus eeePC 1005ha, it came with xp installed which ran fine. I got bored with that though and I wanted to try some new OSes, so I tried a few linux distros and the Win7 beta. I got bored with linux (never ran correctly, lots of compatability errors with WAN/LAN and mouse) so I got rid of it and reformatted for more room for Win7, well somewhere in that process I got rid of my Winxp boot parition.

Obviously Windows 7 beta ended a while ago so now I need to either pay for it or get XP back somehow, I have tried many times but I just can't get Windows XP to install. I have been attempting to do a USB boot in Windows 7 for XP and it just won't work. I was using this ( http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm) method most recently (tried about four) and I can get it to boot now, but I get the boot\bcd error and the only solution I can find includes using a vista cd to repair it which I obviously can't do.

Any ideas? I tried to put it back on the USB from scratch and it still didn't work.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,518 Posts
If you have a full version XP CD and have the CD/DVD drive set first in the boot order in the BIOS, boot from the XP CD and let it format the hard drive and do a clean install of XP.

Here is a good pictorial guide to assist you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

·
Trusted Advisor
85,518 Posts

·
Trusted Advisor
85,518 Posts
You should buy and keep a USB external optical drive with your netbook because you'll likely need it again in the future.

----------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Using a USB drive I am trying to install windows off a borrowed Windows XP disc, definitely a legitimate copy with hologram and all, it starts fine and when it gets to Loading Windows Files I get a blue screen error, going to take pictures of the whole thing and figure out what is going on. Any ideas?

EDIT:
Got a picture with my cell phone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.