Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might sound rather strange, but I need to install Win XP Pro over Linux Ubuntu. I plan on setting-up a dual-boot, but I need Windows to be installed first. When I try to boot from the Win XP Pro install CD (not OEM version, but complete Windows OS), I boot to Ubuntu. How can I launch the Win install and overwrite Ubuntu? Should I use http://dban.sourceforge.net/ to erase Ubuntu and then install Windows?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If you are trying to boot from Cd, but it's booting to Ubuntu....then it sounds like it's NOT booting from the XP Cd....which is weird. Make sure you are saving the settings when u exit bios...just a thought.

Ya, you could use DBAN, it would make sure of it......

Scorp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Put in your install disk (OEM or full version install). Restart your computer. At the BIOS screen, hit F12 and and select the option that will boot from the disk drive in which the Windows cd is in. Follow the Windows install instructions.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Rather than DBAN, which is not really necessary since you are not trying to erase securely, try one of the free, bootable partitioning tools. They will no doubt be useful to you later. I'd suggest just removing the partitions with them and using XP setup to create new partitions and format.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
SystemRescueCD
Gparted LiveCD
Parted Magic
Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)
Partition Logic
Ranish Partition Manager
Cute Partition Manager

Shareware:

Paragon Partition Manager
Paragon Hard Disk Manager
Terabyte BootIt NG
Acronis Disk Director
V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
EASEUS Partition Manager
7Tools Partition Manager
Spotmau Partition Genius