Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new acer laptop last weekend. It came with Vista Home Premium installed, but i want to wipe Vista and install my copy of XP Pro.

The specs of the laptop are:

Processor: AMD Turion X2 dual-core processor RM-74
Clock Speed: 2.2GHz, 1 Mb L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB
Chipset: AMD M780G
Memory: 4GB Dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM RAM
Hard Disk: 500GB SATA
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics with up to 2GB HyperMemory
Graphics Memory: 256 MB Dedicated, Up to 1792 MB of shared system memory

I downloaded all the XP drivers for my model and have them on a CD ready. I have also made a factory default backup just incase anything happens to go wrong.

The problem i am having is that when i try to install my version of XP Pro (SP3 & Sata drivers included), it loads up all the drivers, then when the hard disk selection screen is meant to apper a BSOD occurs. I forgot to write down the error code but i can supply that infomation if needed. Do i need to slipstream all the XP drivers for the install to work, or are there settings i need to change?

My computer knowledge is limited so sorry if i didnt supply enough information, or if i dont understand your replys.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
Error code might be helpful, seems like you might not have the correct SATA driver though.

Try going into the BIOS and check the controller for the drive, is it SATA? If you have a choice, choose IDE [emulation] as the controller type instead of SATA and try installing XP. If there is no choice but SATA, you're post confilcted a little as you state that the SATA drivers are included but then you ask if you need to slipstream all XP drivers. Does that mean you slipstreamed the exact SATA driver needed? It should work and that isn't the problem then, otherwise it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah i should have explained that better. I included the exact sata drivers. When i said all XP drivers, i meant like networking and the other drivers (excluding sata).

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
I use driver packs, works great. http://driverpacks.net/

If you use nlite or other slipstreaming software, use that first, then use driver packs to slipstream the drivers last. It has a setting to load mass storage drivers in text mode, be sure to set that.

Works great for me.

I usually skip the sound and Video drivers because of the size of the driver packs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.