Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I want to install windows on a laptop without a CD-ROM drive. Will it be possible to boot up the laptop with a disk that connects it to my home network and then use my desktop PC's CD-ROM drive to install windows?
If yes, can you point me in a direction of where to find or how to create such a disk.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Welcome to TSG, Nic H2

Which version of Windows are you planning on installing?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Does the laptop have a network card is so you can use a dos bootdisk with network support and install across the network?
If not you could remove the drive and use an adaptor to install it as a slave drive on your desktop whilst you copy the windows install files and drivers to it so that you can install it from the drive once reinstalled.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
DOS networking is not all that easy to configure. Typically there is a lot of editing of the config.sys, system.ini and protocol.ini files.

Other possibilities might be to get an external CD ROM and use a boot disk that will let you access it. Since most programs come on CD's these days, you might need to get one anyway.

There are also laptop drive adapters that let you put it in a regular desktop. You could copy the files that way and then put it back in the laptop.

Also, just out of curiosity, how come the laptop does not have a CD ROM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

It's a realy small Fujitsu P1120, thats why no cdrom. I've found another website that explains how to create a network boot disk - I might give that a try.
I have also thought of another solution. I have a external usb laptop drive casing. I could remove the laptop's harddrive, put it in the external casing, connect it up to my desktop, copy the i386 folder from the Windows CD, install the drive in the laptop again, boot up with a normal boot disk and then install XP from the i386 folder. You think that will work ?

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Whatever type of adapter you can use to connect the laptop drive to your desktop should work. Certainly easier and faster than creating DOS network boot disks.

Also, I believe that computer originally came with Windows2000. Although it should all still work, double check that XP has drivers for all the hardware.

·
Super Moderator
46,576 Posts
If you can network the computers, why not copy the os cd you want to install to the hd and boot with the six xp boot disks? You can run the install from the recovery console. Another option is to install via a boot disk. As Bob posted you will need smartdrv.exe with a dos boot disk. No need for it with the xp start-up disks.

·
Super Moderator
46,576 Posts
The more I think about this it seems better to use the xp start-up disks. From the RC you can delete any windows folders and sub folders that are one the disk. Just do not format since you will loose the contents of the folder from which you will run the install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, it actualy comes with XP, but I'm buying it 2nd hand and want to do a clean install on it.
I've already found all the XP drivers on the website.
Thanks

Originally posted by Bob Cerelli:
Whatever type of adapter you can use to connect the laptop drive to your desktop should work. Certainly easier and faster than creating DOS network boot disks.

Also, I believe that computer originally came with Windows2000. Although it should all still work, double check that XP has drivers for all the hardware.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.