Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm re-installing windows for the first time, and I have two hard drives. One is a smaller drive that I typically use as a boot drive, and the other is a larger storage drive. However, when I'm installing windows, it only gives me the option to install it to the storage drive.

I recall having this problem earlier, and a friend told me to use the driver disc that came with my motherboard. I have the disc, but how exactly do I use it? It never gives me the option of installing new drivers or anything, and it never tells me to insert the disc. When do I use the disc, and how?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I unplug the larger hard drive (the one on which I don't wish to install windows), it says that no hard drive is detected in the middle of setup and quits.

How do I check to see if the smaller drive shows up in the CMOS?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, the hard drive doesn't seem to show up for any of the items. All that shows up for most of the selections are my dvd-rw drive, my floppy drive, and my storage drive. What can I do to get the smaller drive to be recognized?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also (missed that last post) the drive that is not detected is connected by sata.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
manish_42 said:
Also (missed that last post) the drive that is not detected is connected by sata.
You have to load the sata drivers during xp setup. You load these when prompted to press F6 to load scsi / mass storage drivers. They must be on a floppy since windows will not look anywhere else for them. Sometimes the mb mfg includes a floppy; most often they are on the support cd that came with your board.

Check your manual for instructions on how to copy the file to a floppy. You must have the txtoem file as well as the drivers. That is why you check the manual for directions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.