Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Um, I'm a newbie to linux in general, I only installed it to see what all this fuss is about. But, to the point, I can't install ANYTHING, despite the fact that I follow the exact instructions and type the EXACT right thing into terminal that a website or readme tells me to. I'm using Fedora Core 3 and when I open terminal, type the exact command I'm told to by the readme, it comes up with stuff like "File not found" Basically, I'm asking whether I have to run terminal and somehow navigate to the right folder and then to what the readme says, or if I just type the commands. Here's what one install file says to do.

Code:
. Download the game: Old Tibia client for Linux version 7.4 (approx 1.4 MB)
2. Extract the file using one of the following commands. A "tibia"-subdirectory will be created automatically.
	tar xvfz tibiaNNN-linux.tgz
	gnutar xvfz tibiaNNN-linux.tgz
	zcat tibiaNNN-linux.tgz | tar xf -
3. Start the game in the directory "tibia" with the command tibia.

Note: The package Tcl/Tk, version 8.3, is necessary for playing Tibia.
but I don't know what to do, I opened Terminal and entered those commands but nothing happened, then I doubleclicked the file that I downloaded and extracted it using a winzip-like tool that came with Fedora, opened the file I extracted it to and tried to run the file that said tibia, and nothing happened. I'm absolutely clueless as to how the hell I'm meant to be doing this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
open a terminal type...
cd /path to wherever you extracted the file to with file roller (the winzip-like tool)/tibia
then type...
tibia
and the file should run....

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
This seems to be completely different than most linux programs. It's a different install/run process, much like firefox. You don't even have to install it it looks like. All you do here is extract the files in the tarball(like a zip file, extension .tar or something similar), open the terminal, type cd /whatever directory you extracted the files to(specifically the one where all the files are, if there was a folder you extracted rather than files go into that folder), then type tibia. If that doesn't work use ./tibia instead. If it tells you that you don't have Tcl/Tk, get it from here.

http://tcl.sourceforge.net/

The cd command is the equivalent of the dir command in windows/dos.

So yeah, this one is unlike most programs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There seem to be an increasing number (to me anyway) of programs of this type that run discreetly without a traditional installation...
Like Big-K said firefox is like this, as is thunderbird and (I think) open office

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Um, I did what you said and still nothing happens. I think maybe it's just a faulty file. I guess I'll just have to play tibia on windows. I can use file browser and navigate to the file, double click it and a box comes up with "This text file can be ran as an executable" or something to that effect, and gives four options: Run in terminal, Cancel, Open in text viewer, Run. I tried all four, and nothing happens when I choose run, if I open it in text editor it just has a bunch of code, run in terminal shows a terminal screen for like, a milisecond, and, well, cancel is obvious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.