Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My desktop has gone into the computer shop because the power isn't powering up for some reason. If I need to replace it, how do I go about getting my hard drive, from the computer that won't work, to work in the new computer.

The times I have tried to do that before, the new computer doesn't recognize the old hard drive. I just get a blue screen saying no hard drive is being detected.

A friend of mine told me that the old hard drive has drivers in it from its original computer and the new computer doesn't relate to them. That I would have to reformat it completely before the new computer would recognize it.

Is that true? Does each computer have to have a completely virginal hard drive? I do have the old hard drive backed up but I would hate to have to re-program a whole new hard drive when I have one that's working fine.

I have a PC, MS Windows 2000 o/s.

·
Registered
317 Posts
RabbitOne said:
My desktop has gone into the computer shop because the power isn't powering up for some reason. If I need to replace it, how do I go about getting my hard drive, from the computer that won't work, to work in the new computer.

The times I have tried to do that before, the new computer doesn't recognize the old hard drive. I just get a blue screen saying no hard drive is being detected.

A friend of mine told me that the old hard drive has drivers in it from its original computer and the new computer doesn't relate to them. That I would have to reformat it completely before the new computer would recognize it.

Is that true? Does each computer have to have a completely virginal hard drive? I do have the old hard drive backed up but I would hate to have to re-program a whole new hard drive when I have one that's working fine.

I have a PC, MS Windows 2000 o/s.
under most circustances the hard drive can be placed in another
computer and used, there are sometimes issues placing a newer
hard drive into an older computer but usually not with older hard drive
into newer computer.

you need to make proper settings in the computers cmos/bios
to have it see an added hard drive. not doing that correctly
may have been your previous problem.

the issue you ask about using the hard drive as the booting
hard drive in the new computer is more of a problem. on the
hard drive is information (drivers) which tell it how to run
in regard to the hardware of the old computer, all that
needs to be changed for the new computer. it can maybe be
done but tricky, like you need to have the old computer run
and remove the functioning like audio and highres video.
also software on the hard drive is configured to work on the
old computer hardware. getting to work on new machine is
all a maybe. it takes alot of computer skill, headbanging,
time and luck to maybe make that happen.

much better is to have new hard drive on new computer.
you will be drastically better off in regards to time
a frustration to start new.
install operating system and programs fresh. use old
hard drive to get data files from. maybe use as a
data drive in new computer.

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
Moving a hard drive from one system to another and getting it to work can sometimes work as has been discussed here many times. You would have more of a chance with XP which has more current drivers than 2K. The easiest way would be to get the exact same MOBO for your new rig.

http://www.mostlycreativeworkshop.com/Article11.html

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
One problem that may arise if you end up buying a new Computer is, if the new machine comes with only one IDE port and the new hard drive is SATA. You may not have a place free to connect the old IDE hard drive if that is what it is. If the new computer has a SATA hard drive and only one OPTICAL drive then you can connect the "old" hard drive to the ribbon cable connected to the optical drive. Make sure that the drives are jumpered master and slave accordingly. Another option is to install the OLD hard drive into an external USB enclosure following the Enclosure manufacturers directions. Connect the external to a free USB port and it should be recognized so that you have access to your old files and folders. Remember that any programs installed into windows on this hard drive will not function properly attached to the new computer. Any of these programs you wish to use with the new computer will have to be installed on the new computer first to have proper function.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
What you have been told in part is true and there is a work around.
The drive needs to be in the old pc first so that you can delete the motherboard drivers otherwise it cant be done.
It is probably a better option to do a clean install of windows

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
bigbear is right if you are trying to install the old drive as your boot drive in the new computer. How ever if you are trying to install it as a slave drive it should work with no problem. Providing that the drive does work.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
It's pretty tough with Windows2000 to simply put one computer's hard drive in a different laptop. It may work but typically it is best just to do a clean install.

But usually if you get a new computer, it already has a hard drive.

So a couple of options are to:

1. Use the old drive as an internal slave drive
2. Use the old drive as an external USB drive (after putting it in the appropriate case)

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
you got me confused by the mention of laptop Bob. I thought we talking about a desktop machine here.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
To answer your question, yes it can be done and it is reasonably easy procedure however you must start this procedure with the old motherboard still installed.

Are you attempting to connect this drive as a slave to access data OR are you attempting to move your os to the new system?

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
Bob Cerelli said:
Any details on how to do that if the original computer won't even power up and has gone to a computer shop?
Bob I just answered his question regarding moving a drive. It should be obvious that in this case he cannot use the procedure since in post #1 he states it will not power on.
Perhaps a more complete reading of posts will prevent questions like the above. If you need detailed information on who to accomplish this task, you can start your own thread and we can answer it for you.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Excellent. Thought I missed something relevant to this particular situation.

So RabbitOne, back to you.

At this point I would just wait a bit and see what happens. A computer that won't power up is commonly just due to a faulty power supply. They are not that expensive or difficult for a shop to replace.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
Just wondering Bob do you need instructions on how to accomplish moving an os under win2k or xp? I can PM you with them if you would like.

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
Huh? Nope. No instructions needed for me at all. Have done it numerous times. Windows2000, Windows98, Win95, , ME, and XP. All can work quite well when moving to a new computer. In fact the computer I'm on now has the same hard drive in it for the third computer. Neat thing was I didn't even to start the procedure from the original motherboard to get it working in the new computer. Just need to follow some basic steps.

Fortunately if the power problem gets resolved, even this won't be necessary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your input. As Bob said, hopefully only my power supply needs repair or replacing. However I do wish it was as easy as replacing a light bulb. The instructions above inspire a :eek: response in me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.