Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I wanted to install more memory to one of my older computers, because the memory is only 128mb.

I have installed PCI cards in the past, and I am not a total newbie to computers.

My question is: How hard is it to install memory? Could someone tell me how to do it or where I can find instruction on how?

And if I already have 128mb memory and I add more memory, will I have to remove the 128 or do I add on to it? (Like if I buy 128 I will have 256)

·
Registered
832 Posts
All of your questions are dependent on what type of motherboard you have. Hopefully you have a manual with this info but if you do not send us the make, model and year of the pc and maybe we can figure it out. Last option would be for you to open the case and look for markings that indicate the type.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The computer is:

Athlon, 850mhz
128mb SDRAM

I could not get the Motherboard name with Aida32, because it said Unknown. The motherboard chipset is AMD-750 Irongate.

I do not know how to check the motherboard name and if there is a free slot for memory. How do I do it?

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Check Computer -> DMI for Memory Controllers and Memory Modules to see what it supports for Max. and number of slots.

As for PC100 or PC133, open up the case and read the Info off the RAM.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Then open up the case and read the info off the RAM and count the number of used/free slots. Also look for Name/Model on the motherboard. Is the computer a brand name by chance like HP?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Attached is a layout of your motherboard. You have: Equipped with two DIMM sockets to support Intel PC100 compliant SDRAMs (lower right-hand corner, labeled DIMM).

To install:
Turn off PC and unplug
Remove case (being careful of static electricity)
In an empty DIMM slot push down/out the white clips at each end of the slot
Insert the memory chip (it will only fit one way) and press down on chip until the white clips snap into place.

Check out this site for a picture and description: http://www.karbosguide.com/hardware/module2e3.htm

Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
Originally posted by guitarist968:
what is static electricity? how do i be careful of it?
You know when you rub your feet on carpeting and then touch something metal. It sets off a static spark. Always touch something metal before you work on any electronics and ground yourself to the chasis of the computer with an anti-static wrist band to preven further static build up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.