Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam right now installing a C2Dou E4500 and im having problems getting the HSF on...
the white plastic bits pertrude about 4ml out the back but all dont look equal and i can lift the fan up a bit it seems to run up n down on the 4 catches (that u press down on)...

how will i know when its on proper?

ive took it off and tried again but still the same...im pressing REAL hard and im scared i will break the new mobo if i press any harder..

help :(

THANKS

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Did you make sure the slots on the locking pins were perpendicular to the cooler before starting the install. If they are not perpendicular to the cooler, they will not lock down.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes
they come like that in box like pointing IN torwards the cooler
when i click in as far as it will go (my thumbs hurts thats how hard - im above it pressing down with my weight) the fan can mu up/down the locking pins about 5ml - it slides up and down so it appears as if even if it DID lock in place its still gunna go upndown???

can any1 help as im stuck

im sitting with motherboard on table

THANKS

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
OK, if you are pushing that hard, then something is wrong. First make sure all four push pins are set for lock NOT unlock. Next you push on opposite diagonal pins with moderate force to engage them.

Before doing anything, I would give all parts a VERY close inspection. Look at the holes in the board and make sure all four are the same size and you have not elongated one or more. Next inspect the push pins on the hsf. Make sure you have not bent one or more.

Note I have seen a few hsf where the plastic of the push pin gets bent or distorted. If that is the case, you need a new hsf.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
Get a couple of books, and place them under the board to support the board, but so they are clear of where the locking pins penetrate the board, and try to install the cooler with the board supported by the books.

Did you make sure the fan wire is not caught under the cooler?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks u guys for quick response

I managed to get 3 corners in whilst in case and the i took it out to force 4th corner in...
i can tell its in properley now cos the locking pins on the other side are thru and locked and the HSF is stable....

will the thermal pad be OK with having taken it off a few times?

Thanks again

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
The thermal pad should be fine. After you boot the machine it will melt, and with the cooler being under pressure when it melts it should fill any voids.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it smeared a little through tryin 2 fit it but not off the edges or anything... i think it should be ok
well i just got to wait for my uncle to bring the old PC tomoz with the hard drive and DVD drive so i can fit and get it turned on and install windows...

thanks again guys

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
If you are just waiting for a hard drive and an optical drive, I would go ahead and test the board uninstalled and see if it will POST. You don't need a hard drive or optical drive for the board to POST.

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
While a monitor is not required for the board to post, you will need one to "See" if it posted. POST= power on self test. This is where the board shows the memory count, what cpu is installed, IDs the drives [if present], etc.
If you connect a keyboard, you can enter the bios and check your temps.

When I build a system, the very first thing I do when powering ON for the first time is to enter the bios. Set the time, date, boot order, etc. By the time you get that done, the system temp should have stabilized. You can now check what temp the cpu is running. Each bios is a little different as to where this info is displayed so read your manual.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah i done it all is fine - many thanks for your help and advice CRJ.....
temps 27-30'c in BIOS after 10mins of running
everything present and correct...

need help with Overclocking... the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L iG31 Socket 775 with a Intel E4500 2.2Ghz Core2Duo
the mobo supports in BIOS but when i enabled it as to be able to change bus frequency it had warning lights flashing saying Voltages not set !!!!

so what do i do there?
we were thinking of overclocking to 3Ghz... what do you think? on stock HSF... the case has 1 FAN

thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.