Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have windows vista already upgraded from vista basic to vista premium.
I have dual booted it with ubuntu.

Today, I have put in Windows XP CD and installed, now what happened? no windows vista or ubuntu showing up again.
while the vista and ubuntu files are in drive C: and D: as they were before.

when I boot the computer, I was hoping to get all the partion ( windows vista/ubuntu & XP, but now nothing at all.
What do you think guys, I need help tonight.

just to let you know
I got only Windows vista upgrade CD and that ****en XP CD

thanks
Chol

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
XP overwrote the mbr on the boot drive. You need to repair the boot files. I know nothing about linux however there is a guide at the top of the forum for repairing the vista boot files.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have upgraded from XP to Vista Premium (upgrade CD) then I got ubuntu back.
but the upgrade was not allowed, I chosed the custom option which took me to vista premium.

I wrote this error down during installation:

- you can not upgrade from windows xp professional to windows vista home premium, you upgrade to windows vista bussiness, vista enterprise, vista ultimate.
- there is no enough space you need approximately 7158 to upgrade windows on this partition. cancel the installation and free some spaxce on the partition, and try upgrade again.

when that message appeared, it gave me two options of upgrade, custom and upgrade.
upgrade was not allow tobe chosen, so i have continue with custom installation.

I am now working on windows vista premium, but I am stills having doubt, some settings may be missing not as it was before.

on the partitions screen I have "erlier version of windows .....", microsoft windows vista and ubuntu".

when I select the first one, it ask me to insert installation CD.

it seem looking for the previous windows vista basic, which was on this computer before upgrade but I don't noe where to get this CD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.