Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons were on the puter yesterday and upon logging on the puter this mornng I did a normal virus scan and to my surprise i have 1656 infcted files!!! Onoes.exe C: W31/Backdoor.xlm....w32/sality.j w32/VB.NQ wW32/Trojan.CZP trojan or virus infect the 1656 files. Right now I cant run Adaware Se or Hijack This. Matter of fact I cant run any .exe fles or extract any zip or rar files. I also see a folder xzxzxzxzxzxz.xe and I know it' not something thats mine. I am runnig Cox Cable's Internet Security Suite AntiVirus Scanner. Can I just hit delete and lose all these .exe files that i really need or will it just delete the virues. What can I do???

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Welcome to TSG....

You did not get infected just from your kids running the computer like that, this has been going on a while. I hope you had the recovery software for the computer and if you do not I suggest contacting the manufacturer of the computer and ordering it.

You might have to remove the hard drive from this computer and install it in another computer as a slave drive and after it is able to be accessed by Windows on that computer you will have to manually backup all of your important data that you have to another media like CD-R's, DVD or Thumb drive. Then when this is done return it to the original computer as a master drive on the primary IDE cable and do the following:

I hope you have the Windows software for this machine. Please use Internet Explorer to view this article

Microsoft KB - How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP =
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310353

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean recovery software? Wha do I need to contact dell and tell them. Irun a virus scan daily and i've never come u wit anything like this before. I also run Adaware SE and SPyBOt daily and it was always fine!

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
I think what ozrom1e is saying is the likelihood of you cleaning this pc effectively with that amount of problems is "slim to none", and I concur. Yes assuredly delete the virus but the odds are you will wind up reformatting sooner or later. Antivirus and anti spyware programs do way to much damage removing malware, especially that amount.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Quote this from your first post, trojan or virus infect the 1656 files unquote.

With this many files affected you would be at your computer for months trying to clean it out and fix it. Doing as I suggested will mean about 5 or 6 hours at re-doing everything.

friend who uses Freedom suite that his old ISP had got one virus that killed 10 files from as many programs and it took him 5 hours to fix it.

I am sorry if you took offense at my first post but believe me this is the easiest way out.

Dell Ordering New Recovery/Installation disks On-line
http://support.dell.com/support/top...d=0A6DDE26E66F36C7E0401E0A5517368C&redirect=1

Just ask for new disks for your model number for the computer recovery disks.

·
Trusted Advisor
85,517 Posts
I have to agree with the others. A hard drive format and fresh install of Windows would be the best thing to do.

Did that computer come with a recovery/restore CD? If not, do you have a Windows XP CD?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.