Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Acer Aspire 5720 and recently had the hard drive wiped and Windows 8 installed. Today it won't let me log in at all and eventually I have tracked the problem down to specific keys on my keyboard not functioning. Specifically:

i o x backspace 2 4 5 7 0

Any helpful suggestions? The rest of the keyboard seems to be working perfectly well....

Squillysmum

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
The Acer Aspire 5720 laptop has full driver support for Windows XP and Windows Vista, but not for Windows 7.

You've installed an even newer operating system(Windows 8), so there probably lies the problem.

----------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see your point, but the keys havenow deciided to work intermittently. Maybe they need a clean of some kind. 've heard of folk taking the keys off and cleaning keyboards, but I have no idea if this is a good idea or even how it's done. Could this be my problem?

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
I've never had a problem with non-working or sticky keys in a laptop, so I can't address that issue.

How did you obtain and install Windows 8 in that laptop?

---------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the full operating system from software4students. my laptop was wiped completely and the new system installed by a known professional. He's very trustworthy and would have let me know if it was a bad idea. Indeed, I checked with him thoroughly before I did anything of the kind. We were sure to get the correct version of Windows 8 so I'm sure that is not the problem in this case.

Now it's gone intermittent and I have to hit the dodgy keys 'just so' to make them work, I'm leaning more and more towards a sticky key problem.

Squillysmum

·
Trusted Advisor
85,507 Posts
My advice is to have someone knowledgeable in laptop maintenance and repair take a look at it.

Dismantling the keyboard and removing keys can be very difficult with some laptops.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Does the Device Manager window show all devices working properly?

Are there any entries with a yellow ? or ! next to them?

-----------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
everything looks fine in device manager. I'll get my friendly neighbourhood expert to take a look I think. He's already had an email from me. Just trying to osolve it myself in the meantime. Looks like it's going to be byond me. oh well....

Thanks foor your advice, though. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.