Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have to do an independent study project for a course this year and I'm having trouble deciding on a project. It can be on any topic really... Basically I need something that will keep me interested until spring. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hi Ophidian, :)

Can you sort of give us an idea what
topics you're considering so far, or what
you're interested in?

Cheers, Mac

·
Registered
912 Posts
Howsabout comparing and contrasting the methods, costs, effectiveness, ease-of-access, etc of the varied forms of PC technical support services.
Probably a foregone conclusion though.
TSG wins hands down!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hey Mike, :)

Why don't ya include "He who teaches learns"
in your signature? It'd save idiots like me some
time... :)

Cheers, Mac

Let the record reflect that Mike C has changed his
signature to "Sufferin'succotash!" (a quote which
I am much more familiar with...). :D

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Ophidian....A study of .."The Love Between Lawyers & Reporters As It Relates To Current Events"..would prove to be an interesting study....However....I doubt your "independence" would last very long....the lawyers would seek your retainer....the reporter....your exclusive....Dark Star said he would brokerage the deal for an undisclosed fee...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm interesting idea, JewisHeritage but i think you might be right with the whole loss of freedom thing... and i'd prolly put my class to sleep presenting that.

Well basically what I've considered so far is pretty general:
1. Learn a new programming language
OR
Go further into learning one I know

2. Something to do with electronics

3. Build a computer and spend the year studying parts

4. Spend the year studying to get a few computer certifications

5. Learn to fly a plane

6. Build/restore a car (particularly a '68 mako shark vette)

Pretty much thats what I've gotten so far... o yea and my teacher gave me the go ahead to do something with sex as long as I keep it appropriate... what I'd do with it I dunno...

- Well as for choice 1, I kinda didn't really want to do this for the whole project since its too close to what I already do. I don't really want to devote my year to just doing one thing like that.
- As for choice 2, as you can see, thats still a general idea.
- With choice 3, it would kinda be a stretch to do that for the whole year.
- Choice 4 is kinda of interesting since I would really get something out of it. I'm already going for an A+ certification right now and I could go for 2 or 3 more different ones over the year and base the project on that.
- Choice 5 I have to look into. Costs might weigh me down.
- And choice 6 is prolly my most interesting one. Costs definitely might weigh me down though and I'm currently having a hard time finding enough information to do it.

Well that's basically what I have so far. I have to figure what I'm doing within about a week or two which is a bit of a problem since I'm kinda stuck. I figured I'd ask everyone here to see if ya's could help me any. What do ya think?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
How about:

artificial intelligence...

computer operated (or remote controlled) robotics...

make a computer game...

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
I like mac's idea of the computer game! After you get it done you could post a link to it and lets us have a go at playing it.

Also like the sex Idea....Reasearch could be kinda of fun! HeHeHe

Opps....Wife just saw the post and gave me a owweee!
Dave

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
Ophidian:
Pretty much thats what I've gotten so far... o yea and my teacher gave me the go ahead to do something with sex as long as I keep it appropriate... what I'd do with it I dunno...
Ah, if you don't know what to do with it by now I suggest you stay away from this topic. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:) Heh, well I thought of doing a computer game but I don't think I'm goin to for 2 reasons:
1. A friend of mine is already doing one
2. I don't really want to focus on one language this year; I like to jump around or else I'd get bored so I wouldn't be able to focus on making a game right now with my current knowledge.

I was thinking about the robotics thing but I don't really know where to look for information and ideas and plans to help me.
And the same goes for AI.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm... well the robotics thing looks interesting. Reconn's World has some interesting devices I wouldn't mind building but their plans are currently being reorganized or something. That kinda fits with my idea of building a variety of gagdets and such over the year as I studied electronics.
The problem with making robots is that I don't really have enough knowledge on electronics as a base so I haven't really found anything I could do easily.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
You want something challenging enough to
keep you interested until spring, that you
can do easily?

Good luck on that one. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:) Well by the looks of it, I could use some luck... that's prolly the toughest part of this.

Well I'm really giving consideration to the getting various certifications over the year. What ones would ya's recommend?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Since this is a year long project, I would try to accomplish the MCSE. I have looked over the first part, 70-210, and if you are really into computers, this is the way to go. Very interesting stuff and that test is just the first part of seven tests!

If you have some time to download a PDF file, it is 56 pages, this is a good place to check to see if it is worth your while. Be sure to save it off-line which will add to your time. Go here:

http://studyguides.cramsession.com/cramsession/pdf/microsoft/win2kpro.pdf

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok well I'm currently already going for an A+ certification hopefully rather soon. At the risk of sound foolish, what exactly is the MCSE? Any additional ideas as to what type of certifications I could go for over the next 6 months or so?

G

·
How about the effects of TV.
"Springer", "Judges",

Thought I'd add a couple thoughts to get you started.

Nudity: How come I go out nude I get busted? BUT; one can go out nude to everybody in the World (on TV) and that's O.K. Do you call that fair or Art?

****: I hear it all the time on TV. If I say it (anywhere) I am being obscene, and get censored (like here and now on TSG)!

I could go on forever and if you get writers block just let me know!

AZ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.