Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MOBO went out and I had to replace it.. After I finished, the Windows2000 splash screen came up for about 2 seconds then I got the "Blue Screen Error" "Inaccessible_Boot_Device".. :mad: I tried booting with the w2k installation cd <no luck, same thing happened>.. Was going to try to boot using the MSDOS boot disk <but lost the darn disk>

Anyone know what the heck I can do short of Deleting my Hard drive??

PS. Please keep in mind I have limited funds..

Thank you,
Barb

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the Bios Setup Menu. The hard disk where my boot files are located was detected. Pretty sure that "boot from cd is enabled" will double check tonight when i get home.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok. booted with MSDOS Boot disk and it was not finding my c drive <hard disk>.. It was reading my CD-ROM drive as my c drive... Tried every letter in the alpha to try to find my hard drive from the DOS program <no luck>. BIOS identifies my hard disk but MSDOS does not.

BIOS SETUP:
BOOT SEQUENCE
1st.- FLOPPY
2nd.- HDD-0
3rd. - CD-ROM

When I tried to do a new partion or format anything it said I only had 1 partion active and there was no room for anything else...

How can I format my hard drive when DOS will not find it????

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
You cannot just change a mb on an nt based os and expect it to run [unless the new board uses the same chipset as the old board]

Since the old board is already dead, this procedure may or may not work.

1 First enter the bios and make sure the CD is set as the first boot device; save settings and exit with the win2k cd in the drive. Note you need a real MS cd; not a recovery cd.

2 When you see the message "To boot from cd press any key" do so.

3 At the first screen choose install not repair.

4 The next screen will show any previous win2k install and offer to repair it for you. Let setup repair your install.

5 Things to do after a repair install
1a Update to sp4
2a Install chipset / mb drivers
3a Update to DirectX9c
4a Install sound, nic, raid drivers as necessary.
5a Install video driver last.
6a Now run windows update and install ALL critical updates.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it going and am updating everything now.. I had to set my BIOS SETUP to load the CDROM first, then I could install from my W2K disk... Now my sound isn't working <grrr> I will work on that later. Right now I am just happy that I did not have to format anything.... Thank you all for your help...

Much appriciated!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.