Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen processor's with 3+ghz and 8mb caches before, so what exactly is it that makes the i7 so much better than any of them?
I'm not the best on computer's so I don't really understand all the reviews, but I'm good enough to understand a little bit complicated, so if anybody can explain, please do!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Put in a nutshell:

The 3DMark Vantage benchmark CPU score of the i7 920 is 16,294 where as a Core 2 Extreme QX9770 is 13,182 (both at stock levels).
The i7 920 costs 280usd where as the QX9770 costs 1000usd.

That about sums it up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Non-technical terms, it's made a fking lot better than older CPUs.
How? I want to know what kind of boost it will give me when I am watching youtube, while I have music playing and a game running in the background.
What makes an i7 with 3.2ghz better than any other quad core with 3.2ghz?

·
Registered
274 Posts
How? I want to know what kind of boost it will give me when I am watching youtube, while I have music playing and a game running in the background.
What makes an i7 with 3.2ghz better than any other quad core with 3.2ghz?
In layman terms the i7 cpu range handles information flow at a considerably far more efficient rate than Core 2 processors. In addition to this is true hyper-threading architecture and streamlined memory access - for a good simple evaluation see this link:
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16189&page=7

With regards to watching youtube (or any web site) - spend your money on a decent internet connection i.e. 7-10Mbps which will not lag streaming HD content.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In layman terms the i7 cpu range handles information flow at a considerably far more efficient rate than Core 2 processors. In addition to this is true hyper-threading architecture and streamlined memory access - for a good simple evaluation see this link:
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16189&page=7

With regards to watching youtube (or any web site) - spend your money on a decent internet connection i.e. 7-10Mbps which will not lag streaming HD content.
So basicaly 3.2ghz in i7, is actually more than 3.2ghz?

And I have 20Mbps connection:) Alot better than the max of 5 I had in New Zealand:p

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Its more about efficiency than anything else.

At 3.2GHz compared to another quad core...

For every clock cycle, or Hz the CPU wastes less, think of a pail of water as 1 Hz, and so you have 3.2 billion of those going from the stream to your swimming pool.

With a Core 2, you have have 2 channels, or pail carriers doing all the work (The stream is the RAM, the pool the CPU) They also spill alot and make many mistake (The architecture).

With the i7 you have 3 workers (Tri channel) and they make fewer mistakes, and spill less.

There is more to it, but thats sort of a good little analogy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its more about efficiency than anything else.

At 3.2GHz compared to another quad core...

For every clock cycle, or Hz the CPU wastes less, think of a pail of water as 1 Hz, and so you have 3.2 billion of those going from the stream to your swimming pool.

With a Core 2, you have have 2 channels, or pail carriers doing all the work (The stream is the RAM, the pool the CPU) They also spill alot and make many mistake (The architecture).

With the i7 you have 3 workers (Tri channel) and they make fewer mistakes, and spill less.

There is more to it, but thats sort of a good little analogy.
Beautiful explanation, thankyou. Exactly explained it:)

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
You are welcome, I kind of like the analogy myself, and it works well I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.