Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Image Properties - Attribtes V's File Size

Was uploading a image over at http://xs.to/ and there is a max. 2 MByte per file on .jpg files.
I had images that I know are under 2 MB but then get a error telling me the file is too big. I look in my ACDsee image viewer and look at the file size in window and I was way below 2MB so did not understand what was going on.
This was on a image I did Bygum posted. So I changed things by making it grayscale 16 bit but it was saved grayscale 8 bit and it got the size down below 2 MB.
But the I open the 3 images up again in PhotoImpact and clicked on Image Properties and your see that there are two sizes for each image. The file size is what your see in windows, image viewer etc.
So my guess is that http://xs.to/ the limit of 2 MB is not the file size but the Attribtes size.

What is all this on having the two sizes because I sure don't understand it.
Look at how many time bigger the Attribtes size is.

So anyone know what this means?

See screen shots

Attachments

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have no experience in Photoimpact, but usually discrepancies in sizes - when it comes to jpegs - are usually to do with compression settings (and the uncompressed file) and whether metadata was/is saved with it.

In Windows, for all files, the dif between file size & 'Size on Disk' is because of the size of the cluster allocation. You can't have a 16-bit jpeg (JPEG 2000, yes).

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think it is compression but I do not compress the .jpg images and I see the same type of thing on .gif, .png, .bmp (not as bad as other formats) with a .bmp Attribtes size at 2232KB and file size at 2233. Opps they are the same when I click on the file info button. I see it on some .tif files but a .tif can be compress.

Ok I think I am seeing it. If there is a setting or slider to compress the file I have it so it is not compressing. But there are still other things like zip compression, LZW compression, JPEG compression, no compression on a .psd file but it had a Attribtes size at 258 KB and file size at 1744 KB and that has the Attribtes size smaller then the file size when the other format it is the other way around. Then some .ufo that is PhotoImpact's format the Attribtes size was just a couple KB bigger and others the other way around. This may be because of layers too. The .ufo say compression byte run length on them.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
All jpegs are compressed, no matter if you choose the lowest setting or the highest - and the uncomressed size will stay the same before and after, whatever the setting used.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
The attribute size is the size of the image when it is decompressed for viewing. Roughly the width times height times the three colors. Photoshop displays the file size as “doc” at the bottom of the screen and it is about the same. When you open a JPG it decompresses to that size – roughly the same size it would be if you saved as a regular TIFF or BMP.

The file size is the size of the compressed JPG file. Photoshop gives only a 1723Mb file size at quality 12, so it seems PhotoImpact has a slightly higher best quality JPG. Or else the extra space includes EXIF, thumbnail, IPTC and such.

Sites like TSG and Steve’s use the JPG file size. Evidently the site you are posting on uses the decompressed size of the image. So if you sent a RGB TIFF or BMP under 2Mb it would probably post. Or if you decrease the size so the attribute size in PhotoImpact to less than 2Mb before you compress it into a JPG it would post.

It is not unusual for a PSD file to be considerably larger than the document size (or attributes as PhotoImpact calls it) because it can have layers. It is possible to save layers in a TIFF and that can be larger as well.

·
Registered
57,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the added info.

What got me going on this was when I did the upload and was told the file was too big.

Then I also went to webshouts and downloaded some pictures I took with my camera.
funny thing about them if they were showing the file size of about 1500 to 1800 KB and I had even downloaded them a couple time because it was more easy to find the image there then on my PC. But the file saze was the same.
Now downloading the same image the name is changed and the file size is 228 KB and the attribute size is 9200 KB so guess if they did not change things the file size would beabout 1200 to 1700 KB that came from the camera. But they changed everything over there at there site and I hate it now. Like flash needed to see my own picture. But I can see the small thumbnail but not the bigger image because you need flash but then if I click on the full image I can see it without flash. They just started that flash too. :( But it was uploaded under the name Dscn1280 and before if you downloaded it they name was the same but now it is 404644629Kvoyfr_ph and 404644629Kvoyfr_fs for the full size. OK I disable the flash and reloaded and can see the images so it may of been arould longer but I jut never seen it because I keep the flash disable most of the time so it works with or without flas there. Just better without flash because I have my right click option on links etc that your lose with flash.

So don't know why the very same image I uploaded at Webshots now downs at a smaller size then I got from the camera that showed a file size 6 to 8 times bigger.
I do know that they could be compressed in a new way now after they screw up there site and changed everything and made it worse and slower then before. Like if you had the webshots desktop and you downloaded and installed a picture tru it the file size was very small and if you could go to the album and see the full image it would be many mny time bigger in file size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.