Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My screen went into a bunch of red patches all over and now that I have gotten back into windows by disabling the drivers, I'm still getting wierd rendering, and little turquoise stripey thingys all over the screen. It was so sudden and after a pretty hard game of Call of Duty that I think I cooked something.
I'm going to try some drivers from the nVidia site. The Winxp drivers that have served me so well won't even work now.
Any gamers think I should go get the 5900? This card is a Ge Force 4 Ti 4600.
I have some old PCI cards to try but I think the PCI issues would be enough to conclude a test with.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't believe I misspelled video- in the title even.

I just put the latest greatest drivers in and still no luck. It looks almost as if the cable is plugged in a little loose. That's not the case. I checked.

I think this is end of the card. It's not completely gone but it's having trouble breathing.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I clicked around the setting on the desktop. The colors are set to the lowest and the screen res is the biggest but the screen, other than the baby blue lines is the right size. The colors are not so vivid. Before I run out to get a card, I should like to see if there are any WinXP issues, but the first thing Windows told me when the red streak crash happened was that there had been a driver problem. At that point it restarted to a last known good registry point- didn't change anything.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Try the monitor on a different computer to make sure. Also wiggle the cable a little to see if there is a bad connection in it. If it works ok on another puter chances are the card is bad.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a huge monitor so I'm bringing the one from the other room into here.
After my last post, I used the XP disc and the MOBO disc to reinstall the AGP drivers just to make sure the board wasn't having a problem.
I didn't think it would really help since the two conflicts at the outset of this problem were my video adapter and ethernet connection. (That 's not related, I don't think.)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soyo's trouble board said the same thing. I was looking for newer AGP drivers and their trouble page described the problem pretty closely and first suggested video card trouble. It also suggested memory problems so I took out chip or two and every time I broughtit back up it looked fine for a minute or so and then develeped the lines again. After all these posts, I think now I have a cooked GPU on the video card. Heat seems to be the tattle tale on that one. I'll bet if I turned her off for a couple of hours, I would get a good screen for a little longer.
I did get another balloon message in the task bar telling me that Direct Draw had trouble with some drivers and accused the NVidia card of messing it up.
I'm off to the parts place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.