Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I just recently got a job as lvl 4 phone support for Sharp Electronics, I haven't started yet- But I'm a bit freaked out, here's why;

Sharp is an OEM manufacturer for notebook PCs, and therefore Microsoft provides no support for the OS accompanying these notebooks. Also, Sharp provides no training save the specifics of their products, i.e. I have to know how to fix any Windows-related problem on the fly with no training.

I have been building-tweaking-fixing-loving boxes for years now, but I'm still a bit apprehensive about this whole no-training thing, so I figured I'd sign up here and make some smart friends.

Also, if anyone has some sort of random Windows support quizzes they'd link me to I'd appreciate it.

Ast0reth

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Congrats on the new job Ast0reth! :up:

A bit harsh with the lack of official training and all but I'm sure you'll be fine ;) .

The team here is great, so head up and you'll be fine :up: :up: .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wooh!

Fast replies! Crazy!

Thanks you guys- I have nothing to do but browse around while I auto-pilot in Eve-Online...

Let's make some conversation....
Um....

So, how about that local sports team?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
No.. anyhow listen i'm sure you'll do fine. Most of the time, you can find your answers on good old google. And if you want help, type in windows FAQs and there ya are, in about .27 seconds you'll have a list of a few hundred answers to help. :) (well time to go run around like a chicken with my head cut off, doing that sovles alot of computer problems)
-blitze

PS
congrats on the job! be happy, relax. Any trouble comes up Post it! We'll help ya, we're smart.... just look at how i fix problems

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
[tsg=welcome] Welcome to TSG! [/tsg]

Relax. Like any new job, tech support can be intimidating at first. Don't worry... you'll learn as you go. I'm sure you have RSTs (or whatever Sharp calls their resource people) available, and there's always the next gigher level of support.

You'll do fine! :up:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I heard of a tech support operator trying to help a caller who could not get their PC to work at all. After a few minutes conversation tech support asked the caller to check all the cables were properly connected between the computer/monitor etc and also that it was plugged into the power socket. Caller said it was a bit difficult to see the cables and check one-handed that they were connected securely:

Tech support: 'Why one-handed?'
Caller: 'Because I'm holding a torch with the other hand'
Tech support: 'Why are you holding a torch?'
Caller: 'Because we just had a power outage in the area and all the electricity is off'.

So, AstOreth, I suspect that commonsense will be all you need in many cases, with or without Windows training.

Good luck in the new job.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Try not to sit all the time. See if you can have a headset that lets you walk around some. You will stay more aleart that way.

Be polite and smile while you talk. You would be suprised at how much better you will sound if your smiling. :up:

If you don't know.. don't pretend that you do. Say "I have a few idea's but I'd like to check them out and get back with you" Then do it.. go to google and find your information and CALL THEM BACK.

Be prepared .. some people are just plain nastie and they have nobody but you to take it out on and tell you their problems. Just let em rap then ask how you can make their day better.

I liked to get a feel for the person's computer skills by just rappin alittle. For instance someone calls and say's I'm having a problem with "windows media player" Say somethin like "Wow.. I love that program .. Lets get you fixed right up" "Did you know you can do this with it"

You don't wanna tell Grandma to edit the registry.

When I did tech support I wasn't the smartest cracker in the box but people would call and ask to speak to me anyways. I was just pleasant to them and never made them sound like they were ignorant or asking stupid questions even if they were.

Look at it this way .. If somebody asks you a easy (stupid) question .. get excited !!that you know the answer.. Show enthusiasm.

Google is your best friend

Good Luck and Congrats :up:
Cowboy

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Congrats dude!

Be nice. Friendly. Don't EVER say "duh". Be especially nice to little old ladies. ;) And if someone calls who is judt looking ofr an argument and a "stupid IT person" story, then do your best not to lose your patience. If you can sense someone getting mad, refer to them as "sir" or "ma'am", you won't believe how good it feels to be respected. And if you don't know how to fix something, tell them you'll call back and Google it. Then be sure to call back quickly. :) Keep in mind how you yourself would want to betreated and you'll do just fine. :D

-TGG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.