Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm lost, or at a least my USB Ports are! Help

999 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Phantom010 
#1 ·
Hi & Good morning...

I was having a problem with my PC's USB ports. I ran into a boot loop a few months ago, and luckily was able to use my Hiren's boot CD to recover back to an earlier date in time, which did work. The recovery method in which I used stopped the boot loop. However, another problem ensued, my computer's ports power down when I get to XP's desktop. Could be a virus? Could be corrupted drivers? I do not know. The computer is fine and all I suppose, its just that the USB ports are losing power before it gets to the Windows XP desktop. Right now as I send this email to you my PC is within the XP desktop, in screen saver mode. As I am unable to use a mouse or keyboard because of the aforementioned problem. I cannot use Safe Mode either because of the USB ports. Any suggestions would be of help as I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jermaine

#3 · (Edited)
If you have PS/2 connector(s) on your motherboard you could get USB to PS/2 adaptor(s) which should let you use your present keyboard and/or mouse, just make sure you get USB female to PS/2 male adapter(s), they are also made the other way round for plugging PS/2 into USB port on the PC.

#4 ·
A virus may have indeed disabled your USB ports. They can be re-enabled from the registry or the BIOS. However, without a keyboard, that's rather difficult to do... Try the PS/2 connector suggested by managed. Then, we'll show you how to re-enable the USB ports, hoping a possible infection will not be preventing it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.