Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ubuntu installed perfectly but it's asking me for a user name and password that i dont have ,from reading some forums i guess i have to reinstall but i keep getting this BIG ERROR!!!

/etc/init.d/usplash: 112: usplash_write: Input/output error
/etc/init.d/rc: 372: /sbin/usplash_write: Input error
/ect/rc2.d/s30system-tools-backends: 90: usplash_write: Input?output error
* Starting System Tools Backends System-tools-backends

and it goes on and on and on i dont know what it means but thats as far as i get.

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Hi guy2,

Apparently, you did not create a login account name and password during the installation process. Please follow the installation instructions in section 2.7 in order to do so.

-- Tom

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK i tried to read up on all these directions and im lost ,i don't understand much of this because im not very familiar with ubuntu or dual booting and installing operating systems in general. This manual is useless to me.

I tried to google but i still cant get it. All i know is when i start up the computer without a disk it ask me user name and pass word but when i start it up with the disk it has plenty of options to install and iv went threw just about all of them but i keep getting an error or it just freezes with a blank black screen and i have no options.

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Hi guy2,

I assume you are working with the Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) .iso file. Is that correct, i.e. are you installing the file ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso?

Try reading the following: Ubuntu Installation Guide. Although it applies mainly to Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron), it should also help you install 9.04.

If you don't understand something, the best thing to do is to ask a question about what you are having trouble understanding, i.e. ask for help.

-- Tom

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google...

Well i guess this is a Root Password issue ,it take's the same Root password as windows ,in this case windows xp.

Unfortunately this computer is a hand me down and i already did a full installation of ubuntu overwriting XP and all the updates possible so i will never know what this password was.

The only thing i remember filling out in ubuntu about name's or passwords is the computer name i picked ''Skipper"

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
Hi guy2,

I am attaching a file you can read with your browser, called unixtoolbox.xhtml. In it you will find a solution to your problem. You may have to rename the file as I have appended a suffix, .txt, to the end of its name to comply with the upload file specifications of TSG.

-- Tom

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.