Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
52,999 Posts
First Name -
Rob
P2P programs are not illegal, its what you use them for thats illegal. If you download an MP3 of a copyrighted song or a game without paying then yeah its illegal.

· Registered
659 Posts
We do help people that download and use P2P programs, however it is against forum rules to help solve problems that people may be having with the use of P2P programs.

John

· Gone but Never Forgotten
17,966 Posts
In general, the people that post HijackThis logs usually already know that P2P has to go, and they only want to put their computers back to the condition they were in before the junk got into them. I've seen only a few actually back out of a thread when advised that the P2P will be removed or wont work anymore, if we attempt to fix the problems showing....which we do as a favor so there are no bad feelings, sort of like the car shop that tells you in advance what is wrong and what has to be done, not just sticks you with a big surprise.
We can, should and certainly do help people who ask for help with the junk installed by P2P apps and other hijacks.... as above, we just do not help with USING P2P itself. There are plenty of forums around that do.

· Super Moderator
37,994 Posts
Hiya

There is one thread here in Software lately, where the poster is having problems with a program. When he posted his Startup list, he did say that he was still using Gator for something, but will remove it after, and run Spybot.

He also mentioned using Kazaa, but as his question was about a different program (turned out to be a CDRW thing), I didn't close it as it was not related.

Its also the same when someone mentions downloading movies/songs, and they're not working. I give them the benifit of the doubt, and ask them where from. If it turns out to be p2p, I close it. If its legal (coka cola, eg), then I help :)

Also, as a side note, I've seen a thread here in Software on the same kind of discussion, but got out of hand. Lets hope this one doesn't ;)

Regards

eddie

· Registered
90 Posts
To get back to the the original question, No, Download.com is not an illegal p2p site. It is an ordinary site for downloading Freeware and Shareware. In fact its top four downloads are Adaware, Zonealarm, Winzip and Spybot Search and Destroy which are recommended on the Techguy site almost daily. Ted

· Registered
9,629 Posts
Online music swapping legal: court
Last Updated Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:20:36
TORONTO - People who share music files on the internet are safe after a Federal Court rejected a motion on Wednesday that would have allowed the music industry to sue them.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/print/2004/03/31/canada/download_court040331

Guess people in canada can swap legally.... :)

· Registered
1,769 Posts
Originally posted by eddie5659:
Hiya

Also, as a side note, I've seen a thread here in Software on the same kind of discussion, but got out of hand. Lets hope this one doesn't ;)

Regards

eddie
ur talking about my thread arent you??? :mad: :mad: :mad: ;)

· Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry to revive this thread again, but i have to ask... since the canadians can download legally, then is it also legal for a canadian to download the music and send it to an amercian? just a thought :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.