Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
kryton123 said:
first, 'disk cleanup' or 'defragment' ??

thanks
Disk cleanup then chkdsk then last defrag

Simply create a system restore point before installing and you will be fine. IE7 installs just fine if done correct.

Some have issue with installing IE7. (99% is due to not following "installing an update procedure")
Steps to take before updating (pretty much should do this for every/any update, most of the following info at least)
1. Do a disk cleanup, clean temp Internet files, empty recycle bin and defrag.
(CCleaner is good for cleanup, Start, my computer, right click on your hard drive, select properties, select tools, error checking click "check now"(chkdsk). and defrag
2. Run any spyware cleaning software you may have to clean that up. Run your antivirus program.
I recommend
Ad-Aware SE Personal
I run this daily
SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
I update once a week (keeps bad pages with known malware that cold cause damage from being displayed.)
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Daily or every other day
CwShredder
This is one I only use once a month lol but good to have
AVG Anti-Spyware
daily
3. Remove anything you may have added to the browser such as Google toolbar ext.. (reinstall after update)
4. VERY IMPORTANT, disable your antivirus, Disable all spyware programs (they have many blockers on them such as homepage ext.. so they all need to be disabled)
5. Shut down any running program that does not need to be running. get it down to the bare min (just want XP running and nothing else)

Then download IE7 (from here)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...s/default.mspx

And install it.

If done correct you should have no issues with IE7, I personally have had only 1 install issue and have done so many I can't even count, and nobody has called to say they have an issue with it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Here, Your correct I kind of just threw it together. I updated it and this is the order you should do it in. Sorry my fault

Simply create a system restore point before installing and you will be fine. IE7 installs just fine if done correct.

Some have issue with installing IE7. (99% is due to not following "installing an update procedure")
Steps to take before updating (pretty much should do this for every/any update, most of the following info at least)
1. Do a disk cleanup, clean temp Internet files, empty recycle bin and run spyware programs
(CCleaner is good for cleanup,)
I recommend
Ad-Aware SE Personal
I run this daily
SpywareBlaster 3.5.1
I update once a week (keeps bad pages with known malware that cold cause damage from being displayed.)
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Daily or every other day
CwShredder
This is one I only use once a month lol but good to have
AVG Anti-Spyware
daily
2. Remove anything you may have added to the browser such as Google toolbar ext.. (reinstall after update)
3. Run chkdsk and defrag
( Start, my computer, right click on your hard drive, select properties, select tools, error checking click "check now"(chkdsk). and defrag)
4. VERY IMPORTANT, disable your antivirus, Disable all spyware programs (they have many blockers on them such as homepage ext.. so they all need to be disabled)
5. Shut down any running program that does not need to be running. get it down to the bare min (just want XP running and nothing else)

Then download IE7 (from here)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...s/default.mspx

And install it.

If done correct you should have no issues with IE7, I personally have had only 1 install issue and have done so many I can't even count, and nobody has called to say they have an issue with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
schusterjo said:
Disk cleanup then chkdsk then last defrag
Thanks, but what is chkdsk??

and WHAT is all the other posts tagged onto my thread all about?

regards

·
Super Moderator
46,570 Posts
It is not necessary to run chkdsk first. The first part of defrag.exe checks the disk anyway. If there is an error, it will tell you. At that time you can attempt to fix the error with chkdsk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.