first, 'disk cleanup' or 'defragment' ??
Disk cleanup then chkdsk then last defragkryton123 said:first, 'disk cleanup' or 'defragment' ??
Simply create a system restore point before installing and you will be fine. IE7 installs just fine if done correct.
Some have issue with installing IE7. (99% is due to not following "installing an update procedure")
Steps to take before updating (pretty much should do this for every/any update, most of the following info at least)
1. Do a disk cleanup, clean temp Internet files, empty recycle bin and defrag.
(CCleaner is good for cleanup, Start, my computer, right click on your hard drive, select properties, select tools, error checking click "check now"(chkdsk). and defrag
2. Run any spyware cleaning software you may have to clean that up. Run your antivirus program.
Ad-Aware SE Personal
I run this daily
I update once a week (keeps bad pages with known malware that cold cause damage from being displayed.)
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Daily or every other day
This is one I only use once a month lol but good to have
3. Remove anything you may have added to the browser such as Google toolbar ext.. (reinstall after update)
4. VERY IMPORTANT, disable your antivirus, Disable all spyware programs (they have many blockers on them such as homepage ext.. so they all need to be disabled)
5. Shut down any running program that does not need to be running. get it down to the bare min (just want XP running and nothing else)
Then download IE7 (from here)
And install it.
If done correct you should have no issues with IE7, I personally have had only 1 install issue and have done so many I can't even count, and nobody has called to say they have an issue with it.
Thank you.dvk01 said:I have split all teh of topic posts off to http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/534545-advice-about-answering-security-threads.html
Chkdsk or error checking is XP name for the old scandisc in previous versions of windows
to get to it open my computer/ right click your hard disc icon & select properties/tools and then error check