Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to get Internet Explorer Favorites folders to line up in alphabetical order?? Some are alphabetical (in the middle generally.) Some just stay at the top of the list, and any new folders I make stay at the bottom and don't get up into alphobetical order even when I close IE and come back later.
Puzzled in NC.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
hmm, been awhile since using IE for me, lets see if I remember how I used to do it... the manual long way is to left click on a folder, and keeping finger on left clicker, drag the folder in between other folders whereupon a black line between the folders will show. If thats the location you want the folder, release the clicker and the folder should show up there.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DoubleHelix said:
Click on Favorites, and then right-click on the list and select "Sort By Name". You have to do this for every folder.
I appreciate your effort here, but when I left click anywhere in the favorites, above the folders, on a folder, there is no "sort by name" or any other kind of "sort by. . ." in the drop down list. (Windows XP with IE 6.)
Must check out Mr. Bobol's suggestion.
Thanks anyway.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
Right-click, not left-click. I've checked two different Windows XP computers, and the option is on both. Are you doing this within Internet Explorer? Are you right-clicking on one of the items in the list?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DoubleHelix said:
Right-click, not left-click. I've checked two different Windows XP computers, and the option is on both. Are you doing this within Internet Explorer? Are you right-clicking on one of the items in the list?
Yes. Right clicking. I get a list but no sorting options. I did as the other person said and dragged & dropped the folders into order. I have about 20 folders. The actual web sites inside the folders are in alphobetical order but the folders were not. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
When you right click in favorites, and choose Sort by Name it puts all of the folders in alphabetical order, you don't have to drag and drop. I have done it
numberous times over the years on computers that I've built.

·
Banned
1,099 Posts
Found this at my fav place to look for help besides here.

Sort Start Menu Programs

To sort the Programs menu, the Documents menu, or the Favorites menu, right-click any item on the menu, and then click Sort by Name.

To use your keyboard to sort the menu items by name: Use the arrow keys to select the item on the menu that you want to sort. Press SHIFT+F10 to view the shortcut menu. Use either the DOWN ARROW key or the UP ARROW key to click Sort By Name, and then press ENTER.

And that place being. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jd_957 said:
Found this at my fav place to look for help besides here.

Sort Start Menu Programs

To sort the Programs menu, the Documents menu, or the Favorites menu, right-click any item on the menu, and then click Sort by Name.

To use your keyboard to sort the menu items by name: Use the arrow keys to select the item on the menu that you want to sort. Press SHIFT+F10 to view the shortcut menu. Use either the DOWN ARROW key or the UP ARROW key to click Sort By Name, and then press ENTER.

And that place being. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm
Mr jd957,
Thank you. Everyone has been saying to right click on an item (a folder) in my "favorites" (left side of IE6.) Problem is that when I do I get a long shortcut menu but "sort by name" is not there. I did get the folders alphabetized by "drag & drop." AND I tried it on my "all programs" list and there it worked as you said. That list was a jumble too so thanks for the tip. But no "sort by name" option in favorites.
Thanks again.

·
Banned
24,388 Posts
This option doesn't appear if you right-click in Favorites in the left pane of Internet Explorer. You have to click on the Favorites menu item in the top tool bar next to File, Edit, View, etc. Then you can right-click and select Sort by Name.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
as Doublehelix says, go to the IE toolbar at top.....open Favourites, hover mouse to get your dropdown list showing....right click on the folder at top lets say, you'll see it highlighted and the next dropdown list activated.... 'Sort by Name' will likely appear at the bottom of this list, in the 'Properties' section. Then just left click on 'Sort by Name'..
This will work for jumbled up list of weblinks files too that are there.

look halfway down the page at this link.... you do have latest IE I assume?[not that I know if sort-by is on other versions of IE however].
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/share/favorites.mspx

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DoubleHelix said:
This option doesn't appear if you right-click in Favorites in the left pane of Internet Explorer. You have to click on the Favorites menu item in the top tool bar next to File, Edit, View, etc. Then you can right-click and select Sort by Name.
That little detail about WHERE to access the favorites list was my problem. Now I see! Thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.